Main Discussion Area > HowTo's and Build-a-longs

How to make Knox glue?

<< < (4/10) > >>

Pat B:
So, is it glue yet? ::)      I'll stick with Knox. ;D  Pat

Justin Snyder:
Shame on you Pat. Think of the aroma you could send the neighbors.  ;D  As a matter of fact it is.  You could really glue yourself to your work.  Justin

Pat B:
You shouldn't even need an artificial heat source these days. Just set a pot of water in the yard...should be boiling in a few minutes.  ;)   How's the roofing business these days? ::)       Pat

kiwijim:
Reading the back of a carton of Davis Gelatine it says: Gelatine derived from New Zealand Beef Skin, Perservative 220.  -sounds like hide glue to me
In my experience, Davis Gelatine works just as well as Knox, and both work at least as well as hide glue (and smell better).
I have tried to make glue from ground up hooves, maybe I was doing something wrong, but all i got was dirty scummy water

james

tom sawyer:
I bought a generic version of Knox and it worked fine.  The grocery store I was at last, didn't jack up the price on the Knox so I bought the brand name.  Whatever is cheapest you know.

I made some glue out of my sinew scraps, but I was told not to use it for sinewing since the temp needed to heat it was higher.  So I dried it and have it saved for some other gluing project that may come along.

Aren't Elmers type school glues made from hooves?  Or do they boil the whole horse?  They always say an old horse is headed for the glue factory.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version