Author Topic: Rawhide didnt glue down properly.  (Read 5159 times)

youngbowyer

Rawhide didnt glue down properly.
« on: September 14, 2011, 09:28:01 am »
I glued on some rawhide with Titebond and wrapped it with rubber innertube every 1/2 inch. Left that on for a day and then let the bow dry for 2 days. Some parts are not glued properly so what should I do? Can I wrap them with sinew?

Offline Dazv

Re: Rawhide didnt glue down properly.
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 10:36:49 am »
when the hide was just put on did you get all the air bubbles out???

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:27:32 pm »
 " wrapped it with rubber innertube every 1/2 inch" When you say this are you saying that there were 1/2" sections up and down the bow that werent wrapped with innertube? If so then are these the areas that werent glued properly? Also same question as Dazv asked?

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:49:36 pm »
You may have squeezed out the glue. I haven't done much with rawhide. I've wrapped with gauze and it turned out ok. When I wrapped with nothing it turned out better. I used T2. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

youngbowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 06:00:32 pm »
i think i might have squezed out the glue while pushing out air bubbles. there are only 3 or 4 spots where 1/4 inch is not glued down properly. can i squeze some supperglue under there and then wrap it with sinew?

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 06:22:58 pm »
Superglue wont do much, itll crack. Use the same glue you were using and see if that works. Before you do it moisten the area with a wet rag, I find that it helps the glue and its easier to get wrinkles out. Good luck
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 06:37:24 pm »
Honestly, if it's a good project rip it off, sand it clean, re-glue new stripes!
Use masking tape to fix the hide before wrapping.
Use elastic bandage, not innertubes, wrap the whole bow carfully, leave bandage on for ~20 minutes, then take it of and let it dry.
Frank from Germany...

youngbowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 08:02:32 pm »
Honestly, if it's a good project rip it off, sand it clean, re-glue new stripes!
Use masking tape to fix the hide before wrapping.
Use elastic bandage, not innertubes, wrap the whole bow carfully, leave bandage on for ~20 minutes, then take it of and let it dry.
exactly what i did i wrapped the whole thing and then wrapped it again. i'm gonna leave it overnight and take it off when i get home from school tomorrow.

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 08:11:49 pm »
I see that you've already wrapped it.  But for the future, you may try it like this which works for me without fail. 
1. Soak the rawhide in warm water for 10-15 minutes. 
2. While the rawhide is soaking, lightly sand the back of the bow to expose "fresh" wood.
3. Pat dry to remove excess water.  Rawhide should now be moist. 
4. Apply evenly a coat of glue to the back of your bow.  This is what some of us call "sizing."
5. Apply an even coat (not too much, not too little) of glue to the rawhide surface you wish to glue.  Make certain that all surfaces have glue and that there are no "dry" spots.  Usually, I apply glue to the flesh side and leave the hair side of the rawhide exposed.
6. Position rawhide onto the back of your first limb. 
7. Wrap rawhide with an ACE type bandage.
8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the remaining limb.
9. Set aside overnight then remove ACE type bandage.  Let dry for another day or two.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2011, 01:32:34 am »
I see that you've already wrapped it.  But for the future, you may try it like this which works for me without fail. 
1. Soak the rawhide in warm water for 10-15 minutes. 
2. While the rawhide is soaking, lightly sand the back of the bow to expose "fresh" wood.
3. Pat dry to remove excess water.  Rawhide should now be moist. 
4. Apply evenly a coat of glue to the back of your bow.  This is what some of us call "sizing."
5. Apply an even coat (not too much, not too little) of glue to the rawhide surface you wish to glue.  Make certain that all surfaces have glue and that there are no "dry" spots.  Usually, I apply glue to the flesh side and leave the hair side of the rawhide exposed.
6. Position rawhide onto the back of your first limb. 
7. Wrap rawhide with an ACE type bandage.
8. Repeat steps 1-7 for the remaining limb.
9. Set aside overnight then remove ACE type bandage.  Let dry for another day or two.

I usually use a rubber band at the handle to hold the rawhide in place after step 6 above.  Then starting at the handle and working out I use my thumbs to gently massage the air bubbles and glue bubbles out of the limbs.  It will also cause the rawhide to stretch out some as well.  At this point I use a damp sponge to wipe off the excess glue that has run out from under the rawhide. 

I diverge from step 7 and take the Ace bandages off after about half an hour.  The glue should have set up a great deal but the rawhide will only have dried a little.  Take that wet sponge and wipe down the rawhide, get it good and wet again.  This will raise up any of the bandage pattern that may have been embossed into the rawhide. 

Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:30 am »
Matt's is a great description, but I also recommend to not let the wrapping sit for more than half an hour; when it was warm the otherday a backing had started to smell funny after being wrapped for like 2 hours, it had developed some strange dark spots that could be sanded off later.

A question:

Why do you guys always say you glue the flesh side on? -
The hair side is so much tougher and more homogeneous, also seems to be less greasy. When dry I always sand the back big time to get my backing real thin. I have best results gluing on the hair side.

Frank from Germany...

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2011, 05:23:59 am »
PS: I know there is always more than one way to do whatever, and I really like the possibilities to exchange here on PA. I have learned a great deal from all you fellow bowyers! Thanks for that.

Here are some of my rawhide backings:
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2011, 07:51:11 am »
I do it about like Matt, except I also take the bandage off in a hour or 2. I do glue the flesh side,don't know why  ;) ;) just the way I learned. :) I think you done the right thing by just taking it off and starting over,I use to have some trouble like
that when I used cow rawhide [pretty thick] I only use deer rawhide now and it works much better. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

youngbowyer

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2011, 09:40:25 am »
I ended up taking the bandages of after an hour. I am using cow rawhide but it's pretty thin. Hopefully it will work out. Will rawhide take stain? I want to stain it brown

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2011, 09:59:45 am »
It will but sometimes will take it pretty uneven especially if it has thick and thin spots. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good