Author Topic: 1st Backed Bow, Questions and Advice?  (Read 2333 times)

Offline Matt S.

1st Backed Bow, Questions and Advice?
« on: September 14, 2011, 01:00:34 pm »
I'm working on my first backed bow and am excited to be trying something new.

Here's what I have so far:
Hickory backed Maple (board, unknown species, denser and "redder" than 2 previous failed (chrysalled) Maple bows).
Length: (t-t) 64", (n-n) 62-63"
Desired Draw: 50-60#+ @ 28"
Profile: ~1.5" wide out to mid limbs, then taper to 3/8" tips.
Bendy handle
~2.5" Perry Reflex
Tempered Belly

So far I've done some rough shaping and glued the boards up into ~2.5" of Perry reflex. BEFORE gluing up, I heat tempered the belly (but left flat) in the hopes of increasing the Maple's compression strength.

Currently, the hickory backing is a hair over 1/8" thick. I plan on sanding it down to a hair under 1/8" thick.

My Questions
My biggest concern is the Hickory over powering the Maple.

1. Should I trap the back?
2. How thick should the backing be?
3. Will the heat tempering on the belly help balance the compression vs tensions strength?

4. I have no doubt that the Hickory can stand up to a 60# design, but I'm not sure about the Maple. Would you tiller this out to a full compass bend so all the limb is working or do you think I could get away with non-working stiff tips? (Like my Red Oak bow here http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,27282.msg364898.html#msg364898 with "Eiffel-tower" taper)

5. And finally, would it be wise to use the Mass Formula to determine goal draw weight? I would really like around 60# but I have no experience with backed or reflexed bows so I'm out of my element.

))))------------------>

I have several other questions but this post is getting long winded as-is so I'll just leave this out there so the wise and experienced can direct me towards bow Enlightenment :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: 1st Backed Bow, Questions and Advice?
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2011, 02:08:58 pm »
I would go wider, maybe 1 3/4" and a touch longer. Hickory is much stronger than maple so Im thinking the backer should be no more than .100" thick. Heat tempering will help the belly hang with the hickory.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2011, 02:28:43 pm »
Both pieces of wood are from 1x2 boards, so I'm stuck at 1.5" wide and 64" t-t long tops. If you think 60# would be too much I can always go for a lower weight, say maybe a 50#er. If it were made well and efficient, I would think a 50# with reflex would still be a real arrow screamer.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2011, 02:32:54 pm »
My reflexed bows are my fastest of the herd, even at much lighter draw weights. Low 50's would work great at 1 1/2" wide. Maybe try to keep the width out towards the tips a little farther than normal and leave that maple belly dead flat with slight radii on the edges.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 03:09:32 pm »
I'm sure it would hold up if you had kept the boards longer.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 03:27:28 pm »
I'm sure it would hold up if you had kept the boards longer.

True, but this was a case of "using what I had." The Hickory board had a giant bow-killing knot and I cut a piece off the Maple board for another project. Since the two boards were the same length I decided to go ahead and try a backed bow.

I ripped the Maple board on the table saw and have a 3/16" backer strip from it and I still have 2 backer strips from the Hickory board, so I'll definitely be doing more backed bows in the future ;)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2011, 04:05:23 pm »
Make the handle carry a load and that length will be fine and dandy. Or, add some tip overlays and you can generally gain a 1/2" of length each way by filing the grooves in creatively. Lots of options Matt.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:46 pm »
Make the handle carry a load and that length will be fine and dandy. Or, add some tip overlays and you can generally gain a 1/2" of length each way by filing the grooves in creatively. Lots of options Matt.

It'll definitely bend through the handle. I haven't decided yet on tip overlays but that is a good option. I really just want to gain some experience with this since it's my first backed bow and first Perry-reflexed. Most of my experience thus far is with red oak selfbows.