Author Topic: Sinew or rawhide?  (Read 2511 times)

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Sinew or rawhide?
« on: September 15, 2011, 10:37:22 am »
I have a 60" osage static recurve Im building and the back is just not trustworthy. Its one ring, but not what I like to leave alone. I have built 3 sinew backed bows and ZERO rawhide backed bows. This particualr bow doesnt need any extra draw weight or reflex, just some back support. Which way do you guys suggest I go? Rawhide or Sinew? The bow is about 50% tillered now. I stopped right there because I dont trust a few area's on the back. Thanks all
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Sinew or rawhide?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 10:53:40 am »
I would go with rawhide, if you don't need the added weight and just want some protection, it is much easier and will hold down most any problem  the stave may have. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 12:26:27 pm »
Go with rawhide. I love using it and I actually think it looks pretty nice.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 12:40:31 pm »
I was thinking the same thing Pappy/ Barry. Guess I just wanted some opinions. It will be covered with some type of skin, rattler of sorts. Thanks guys.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »
Haaa! Move'em up! Head'em out! Rawhide! Me too. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 03:46:55 pm »
Your a funny man today Jawge!

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2011, 05:18:50 pm »
If you are going to cover it with skins get yourself a piece of silk. I use silk all the time when covering with skins. Silk cloth is very thin but really tough. Dean

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2011, 08:07:04 pm »
I would have suggested rawhide, also. 

Dean:  I seem to be hearing more about silk backings.  Is this the new thing?  Maybe you can post something on it...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2011, 11:24:39 pm »
 Ditto the rawhide.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 09:20:01 am »
I have some rawhide strips coming from a fellow PA'er. Hopefully I will be flingin' boo by the end of next week..............just in time for our Oct. 1st opener! I REALLY wish I didnt even need to back this bow, I dont care for glue on my bows unless its holding skins down. I have a much shorter working curve that is unabcked and I love the light weight in my hand.