Author Topic: Bamboo backed ERC  (Read 2537 times)

Offline Lee Lobbestael

Bamboo backed ERC
« on: September 13, 2011, 07:01:35 pm »
Has anybody made a bamboo backed eastern red cedar bow? Is this a good combo? I have never used erc but have heard that it has poor tension strength. How is it under compression?

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
Re: Bamboo backed ERC
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 07:11:40 pm »
I would say erc is definately too soft to back with bamboo. the harder belly wood the better to match the strength of the bamboo
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 07:16:42 pm »
I've heard to trap the boo with this combo,or make your boo super thin or both, but never done it myself. But I have made a hickory backed ERC that worked out well.

Offline sonny

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 10:03:46 pm »
I sent some billets to a guy in Germany several years ago and he tried it with a sinew backing but the
drying sinew pulled the sapwood up away from the heartwood. He then decrowned it and backed with bamboo,
said it was one of the best combos he had ever used.
I wish I knew the details but it's been too long to remember- I know he made a flatbow but have no idea of the
length, width........wish I was more help.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2011, 02:31:55 am »
I've only made one bberc, but it is a killer bow in looks and performance.   The limbs were wide so the backing was fairly thick.   I did trap the backing so only ~ the center 1/3 of the backing still had the  "power fibers"   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2011, 09:54:14 am »
 I've made one also. It's still shooting five years later.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?