Author Topic: Mulberry log suggestions please.**pics***  (Read 3814 times)

Offline frankg

Mulberry log suggestions please.**pics***
« on: September 12, 2011, 09:05:55 pm »
I recieved a Mullberry Log in mail today from a buddy of mine . Its around 4" dia. on one end and 3-1/2" on other and 7' long . The bark is still on it and was cut in spring . I can see some checks on butts .

My question is ............. should I split using the checks as a starting point , suggestions please .
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 02:51:07 pm by frankg »
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline lowell

Re: Mulberry log suggestions please.
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:08:25 pm »
That's what I do!!   ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2011, 11:19:01 pm »
If the checks are small I would probably cut 5 or 6 inches off both ends and re-seal it; otherwise If you have a deep, wide check started and its splitting at a location that might be suitable to split out a smaller stave you could do that.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2011, 11:41:42 pm »
   Sence it's that small I'd cut it down to simi bow form. Remove the sap wood use the ring under the sap wood if you can. If not chase a ring. Seal the whole bow and let season if need be. Better to make one nice bow than 2 maybe's.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline frankg

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2011, 11:46:32 pm »
So , go ahead and peel the bark off and split out the best for bow , seal the works  .

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 12:20:43 am »
Yes, you have plenty of length.  I would cut off some from each end as suggested.  You might lose the end checks.  The end checks however, are often good indicators of where it "wants" to split.  If they're not too prominent though, I will split the log where I want it to split.  That is, to purposefully position knots and/or other imperfections out of harms way. 

Since it was cut only this past spring, it could use more seasoning.  After you split it in half the seasoning will accelerate more than when it was whole.  I would seal the shortened ends but leave the belly bare.  If you choose to debark and sap, seal the back.  If you're in no hurry, you should be able to work out a bow during the winter, slow season.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline frankg

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 12:52:40 am »
The checks are pretty prominent especialy on one end so I reckon that will be the start point and chase it from there. Ive split lots of fence posts but no staves :) Ill give it a whirl tomorrow , seal ends and leave go till winter . I have a bunch of juniper to play with till then.
Thanks for the help fellers !!!

Offline Hrothgar

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:39:41 am »
frankg, my eyes were seeing the word log and brain was thinking stave. Yes, definitely start at the largest crack and splt it in two. If there are smaller checks you might want to go ahead and cut a few inches off the ends so they won't grow, then re-seal it and wait a year.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:57:32 am »
Thats a small diamter piece, byt the time you take the sap wood off you wont have much left. Mulberry sapwood is generally quite thick. Hopefully you have enough "meat" left for a bow. Have fun!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 12:13:33 pm »
I think I would split the log in half, remove the bark and seal the sapwood underneath. This will show you what you have to work with. Pick the choicest section for your bow and cut it to length, a few inches longer than you want your bow to be.
  Like Pearlie said it is a relatively small diameter log. If you don't have enough heartwood to work with the sapwood will make a good bow also or a combo of the two; heartwood/sapwood. A ring or two of sapwood on a bow will work fine for a bow.
  Ya got any pics we can look at?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline frankg

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 02:49:08 pm »
Heres a couple shots of mulberry. Ill wait for feedback before jumpin in .

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Mulberry log suggestions please.**pics***
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 03:30:08 pm »
Get her split once and see what you got going inside and on the ends.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 03:40:21 pm »
Id split it in half on one of those crosschecks in the last photo that go all the way across. And you prob only have 6' of workable length is my guess. But you'll knot know until you split it out and see what it gives ya. But you will have to cut some of the ends off more than likely. I wood chase the sapwood ring that's one ring above the heartwood,and make that the back of your bow, and make a long bend thru the handle bow because of the high crown. Have fun!!!

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 04:42:08 pm »
Hello Frankg,

This is an interesting Thread.
I'll be watching... and hopefully learning.  :)
Thank You for the learning opportunity!

Good Luck!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline frankg

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 05:08:52 pm »
  First , let me say thanks for all the input  ;D

Got her split and it went pretty well following the center without much runoff !     

Heres what I ended with . And from what I see the checks come in about 2-2 1/2" on the ends . So Ill trim those off .The heart has some soft core like a main artery going right down center less than 3/16" deep on either half.

Ok, now when I get after this ,later around snowball time , I need to take all but 1-2 layers of the white sapwood off correct ?