Author Topic: ceramic floor tile blade  (Read 5289 times)

Offline Outbackbob48

ceramic floor tile blade
« on: September 08, 2011, 11:21:23 am »
I was cleaning my garage an ran across a left over pc of floor tile that was broke. Gave it a try an surprized my self. This would be great material for begineers, had a lot of problems of harder more expesive flints an cherts, The finish side is slightly concaved an the glue side has plenty of ridges to get past. I made this point with mostly percussion an just alittle hand flaker touchup, I left the finish or cortex on just for show ;D. This blade is 4" long an 1 1/4 wide an little thicker than I like. So if anyone is just starting here is a cheap an challening enough way to get started. Feel free to comment an thanks for lookin.   Bob

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
Re: ceramic floor tile blade
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 11:44:21 am »
nice looking stuff too. i tried some small pieces at a job site the other day and it was crap. great work bob
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 11:52:03 am »
Wow Bob...that's sweeeet. U gonna show me how to do that too..lol :laugh:

Do u remember the exact type or brand/who made em. Maybe that's the key seeing how jamies was crap. Or maybe its just a crapshoot. Some good some bad. Like a box of crackerjacks,ya never know what you'll find inside.

I might have to try this instead of turning all my nice rock into rubble.

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 12:01:55 pm »
Good one Bob! I've been wondering about that tile. Figured it'd be about the same as johnstone. May try a peice one day just for S&G's :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 01:09:58 pm »
Chris, not sure of the brand or type of tile, I have  some left over from when I tiled my foyer, I know it was called primitive tile an I believe it was hand fired. I,ll check with my brother in law who got the tile for me a few years ago. When you come up I,ll give ya a few to hit. Paul , it worked better than any Johnnystone that I ever tried but i really never hit much of it.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:23:25 pm »
Nice!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:11:27 pm »
Sweet!!  I've got some tile, when I get home tonight, 10p., I'm gonna give it a try.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:42:15 pm »
Sounds good Bob...ill bring up up my rock too. And I wanna see ya make something outta that flint ridge. Its pretty stuff.  ;)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 10:35:36 pm »
Bob:  Now that's really cool!  You knapper guys make me sick.  Such talent, skill.  I guess that I spend too much time on the bows.  Then again, there were bow makers and there were arrow makers.  Gonna have to start tradin' or something.  Again, just plain cool...
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 03:30:01 am »
Not a knapper myself,but I may have to pop a few tiles out of the floor when I get home and give it a try! Way to use the resources at hand
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline bushman

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2011, 05:54:03 pm »
Very nice blade Outbackbob48. I just made a post the other day asking if you can knapp tiles. I have been trying different things on a few small pieces of porcelain tile but I haven’t gotten very far at it. When I tried to turn the edge with percussion I keep snapping them, so I turned the edge with pressure and brought it to one face and then used percussion that seemed to help but I keep getting steps, think its because I’m trying to drive the flakes too far into the flat faces. How did you go about making that blade? Also I can only see your last two pictures, the other ones will only load about 1/4 inch of the picture then stop, never had it happen before to any other pictures that people have posted. Could you maybe try to repost them because I would really like to see them? Thanks
Bushman