Author Topic: Knapped head sharpness  (Read 1271 times)

Offline Stingray45

Knapped head sharpness
« on: September 09, 2011, 12:44:36 pm »
I wanted to see how you guys checked your arrow points for sharpness? I'm thinking of trying to learn how to flintknap but in the meantime I picked up a couple arrowheads but I'm not sure how to know if they're sharp enough for hunting. I don't think it's like you would check a knife blade or a steel trad point. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline aaron

Re: Knapped head sharpness
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 01:06:09 pm »
mostly i just look at it- is the edge fairly straight with no platform remnants? Is the tip especially sharp and thin? is the transition to the wrappings and shaft smooth? Is it hafted straight?
Also, i usually test the tip by LIGHTLY pressing it into my lip- this is probably not nececary, haha.
If you are hunting with the stone heads you bought, you may want to get an experienced knapper to sharpen them- most people do not make them hunting sharp if they are for sale (unless sold for hunting), and most heads get dull as they bump up against other points, or anything , really.
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

gutpile

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 03:35:26 pm »
lay a magazine on table..with light pressure run it across mag..if it cuts it you got a sharp hunting point...gut

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »
I like to see how easy it cuts a piece of leather, and see how much pressher it takes to push it thru a beer can, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2011, 12:19:02 am »
I ran it through a magazine today and it didn't slice right through but it scored it to where I lightly touched the cover and it split open. I haven't tried it on a piece of leather yet.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2011, 12:25:59 am »
 I was asked by the Game Officer in charge of the little MGMT area north of Land between the Lakes if my points were sharp enough to kill a deer. I told him, "hmm, let's see" and sliced one of my arrows across his boot, which put a slice in it. He said they would work and also called me a choice, friendly name. Luckly, we had hunted together in Fl. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?