Author Topic: Leave 'Em Long?  (Read 2946 times)

PeteDavis

Leave 'Em Long?
« on: September 10, 2011, 07:32:36 pm »

I have been making up arrows from ash shafting. Once I got my nock point established, it seems they fly better when I leave them long (30"+). This adds some weight, however I hunt down from a tree stand and close range @ 12yds or so max. These arrows are about 650 grains with a head on them, from a 49# bow. Dead quiet and a lot of mass for penetration.  Is there a downside to leaving them long?

PD

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: Leave 'Em Long?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2011, 07:41:13 pm »
Sounds to me like you're lucky you didn't cut them down before firering them.    ???
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline lowell

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2011, 12:16:16 am »
If you're hitting where you want, I would leave them just as they are!! ;)
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline macbow

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2011, 01:21:12 am »
In one of the bowyers bibles it talks about having a extra long arrow helping in shooting straight. Since the left over in front of the bow doesn't go through the archers paradox so it tends to keep the arrow on target.
Ron
Ron Mackenberg   Warsaw, MO.

PeteDavis

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2011, 02:15:25 am »

31"

Offline markinengland

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2011, 01:01:55 pm »
I've liked long arrows ever since I shot a friends Amazonian bows and arrows. Those arrows were close to 60 inches long but they seemed to go pretty much where I was aiming first time I tried them.
I made up four short long arrows at 48 inches (bamboo twin fletched with Ipe foreshafts) and tried them round our field course I was very familiar with. First time out I shot better with them than with the 29 inch arrows I was used to. Slower but somehow they hit what I want them to hit.
Mark in England

Offline Scowler

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2011, 01:02:31 pm »
Sounds like your arrows work well.  I draw 26" and shoot arrows 30-30 1'2" long.  No downside to long arrows as far as I'm concerned.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 08:47:18 pm »
I cut my arrows around 27 1/2" usually.  I was thinking today that I had some full length arrows made up w/ Mangus broads on 'em.  Got them in a trade, never shot them.  I found them, grabbed two of five, and the bow I plan to hunt w/ this fall and too.  Shot both well from 15 yards, moved back to 20, shot ok, but then on my 5th and 6th shots from 20 yards I got this!  :o 

I'm sold on long arrows. And, if you break one you can usually just re tapper and still have a shooter.  If cut to draw, you're lucky if you get a 3/4 draw thumpin' arrow. 

Thanks for the thread, derik
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:52:52 am »
I made up a set of ash arrows a few years ago for a guy and he has yet to come and pick them up.  I bare spine tested them to his bow and they came out perfect at a full 31".  just last nite I took 'em out and shot them thru my 50# sinewed osage 52" bow.  Just a hair stiff, but I was dialing them into 5" groups dead center in the target.  They come in 550 grains, so it's 11grains/lb draw weight. 

These and a set of 625 grain hickory arrows at 32" are about all I shoot these days.  They are not as closely spine matched as my 27" sitka spruce 425 grain rockets, but I also don't spray them all over the target anymore either.  I just flat like'em long!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 01:39:09 am »
how long should i leave them for a 32inch warbow draw? 36???
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:55:23 pm »
I cut all my arrows to 29" -30" for my 26" draw. I think they clear the bow better, give you a little extra weight and shoot better for me than arrows cut to my draw. I have a set of full tapered ash arrows that are part of my hunting arrows. The full taper helps the arrow to get around the bow, makes them less spine sensative(like cane) and they are still 650gr+ finished arrows. The taper also gives the arrow good weight forward properties which helps with accuracy.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 10:31:32 pm »
Cool arrows, great shooting ;) lm gonna have to try some long thanks for bringing it up, any thing to help my poor shooting  >:D
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...