Author Topic: set prone ash  (Read 2962 times)

Offline Dazv

set prone ash
« on: September 03, 2011, 02:16:54 pm »
hi all

Ive got a couple stave's of ash that is prone to take allot of set. What kind of bow have you guys found that helps with set prone woods??? I'm thinking of a wide flat bow and i will keep it as long as i can. what do you lads think???

thanks allot

Darren

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
Re: set prone ash
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 02:57:50 pm »
Yup, wide, flat, heat treated belly.
While you are heat treating, you can put in a bit of reflex (which will prob pull out during tillering)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 03:19:10 pm »
Thanks for the advice :D :D :D

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2011, 10:40:37 am »
Steam the center 16-18" of bow and set the handle back at least 1". That area wont pull out and it will add some "zip" to your bow even if the limbs follow the string after shoot in time.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 05:32:29 am »
Thanks that sounds like a great idea thanks alot.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:36:28 am »
It will add at least 5-8#'s of draw weight as well. Plan for that if you decide to set the handle back. Setting the handle back 3/4" moves the limb tips back a few inches.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 10:48:55 pm »
Ditto what everyone has said to this point, I would add that a good sealer (maintained) and ensuring the wood is at a low moisture content to begin with will help keep set in check...I occasionally put my 'white' bow woods in the hot box to keep the moisture level down...I'm in the Missouri 'three rivers' area where humidity is high and this preventive measure really seems to help.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 05:03:32 pm »
If you set it back in the handle area it will increase stress on the rest of the limbs which won't help you get less set. It may mean that the tips sit a little further forward (all things being equal!) but the extra set which will result from the increased stress will mean that the wood has lost more 'spring' than a straight limbed bow.
I've made lots of bows from ash and in the beginning I came to the same conclusion that ash is prone to a lot of set. Heat treating and low moisture content is the key with ash. It's perfectly possible to make low set ash bows if you get a piece with low ring count per inch.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 05:32:38 pm »
I should have explained myself better. My comment wasnt regarding less set, just ways to keep the draw weight up and the performance in a bow that follows the string due to set.

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:17:37 pm »
Pearl
The best ash bows I've seen are 2" wide and 1/4" thick with big recurves!
The wood was from large dia. trees so that the back had allmost no crown.
Thinking of doing one myself since our trees will soon be gone! (ash borers )
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

mikekeswick

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 05:03:10 pm »
Ash is much stronger in tension than compression, i've found the exact opposite! Smallish diameter staves with a good crown and flat belly even out the properties somewhat  ;)

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2011, 03:46:08 am »
I've only made one bow with ash.  I have to say I really like the wood but I don't know it well enough to comment.  All I know is my bow took a good amout of set and I lost quite a few pounds in draw weight  (8lbs) when sanding and shooting in.  I was a little surprized to loose so much but I had never used the wood before and now I know to plan for it next time.   Glad you started this thread.  I plan to make more bows from Ash in the future...
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 08:52:11 am »
Ash can chrysal fairly easily so you don't want to put too much reflex into the limbs
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Dazv

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:34:23 am »
cheers for the advice guys