Author Topic: Knappable Materials  (Read 2591 times)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
Knappable Materials
« on: September 08, 2011, 06:32:30 pm »
Can I knap coals? The kind that fall off of trains? I mean its easy to break this stuff as far as I can tell. But what kind of stuff can I knap? There's practically no flint here in southern Virginia. I've tried glass knapping months ago and failed but maybe I can do it now who knows? So...suggestions guys?
Plays With Bow and Arrow

JustinNC

Re: Knappable Materials
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 07:01:43 pm »
Glass is cheap and easy. If you want to learn to pressure flake, then get some glass...empty your flakes out from your pad OFTEN or you WILL get cut...it will happen anyway, but not emptying the flakes will make it a lot more often.

As far as knappable materials. The best thing to do is watch as many people as possible in person, and check out the various videos (Jamie posted some good ones) available on the net.

If I had it to do over, I would get several basic tools (couple different size boppers and pressure flakers), and spend the money and buy some good material online. Dacite is cheap and will tell you exactly what you're doing wrong. Texas stuff can be had pretty cheap, but get good, doesnt have to be GREAT (save that stuff for later), material.

Work it down until it stumps you or you feel like you're making mistakes.

Put it aside

Pick up another piece, and repeat the process.

Put it aside

Repeat until you've went through all the material you have.

Start back again with the ones (by this time they should all be worked to a degree) you put down and work a little more. By now, the "problems" should be a little easier to work out.

Just repeat the process over and over and over stage by stage. Dont try to get a point right off the bat. First work at maybe getting the cortex off, if that allows in the first stage....sometimes there are places that dip into the rock that need to be left until later.

Work all of your rock down, one stage at a time...Not one piece stage by stage, but all of your rock to the same stage...then to the next, then to the next. If you try to work on from start to finish, then you'll only get more frustrated and break more and forget what you may have learned from each flake.

I may be a little long winded, and different things work for different people, but I can promise, more have benefited from worked stage to stage, with all lot of different pieces, than trying to go start to finish, one rock at a time.

Say you have rock A,B,C and D...
Take rock A go to stage 1
rock b to stage 1
rock c to stage 1
rock d to stage1

rock a to stage 2
rock b to stage 2
rock b to stage 2
rock c to stage 2

and so forth.

Hope this makes since...

P.S...learn from each flake. Why did it detach the way it did? Where was my point of impact on my platform? Why did the biface break? Why did it hinge? Too many possibilities to go over in one reply. I'm no expert, but my light bulb just clicked a little while back thanks to a lot of help from members here and from breaking a lot of rock. Post more questions as you have them.

Also, no, coal crumbles.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:28 pm »
Wolfpup, checkout below thread on ceramic knife, Coal won't take a conical fracture an heat well you know ;D  Justin stated dacite for begineers an I agree. Also about not trying to make a point , just tryan make a preform, when ya start boggerin it up quit an make another, latter you will look at these an say i can thin this an maybe then take to a point, Did I listen to this advice in my own knapping career , Heck no everybody wants to make thin points right now ;D ;D ;D. I only wished i had all my destroyed rock back now :( :( :(  The ceramic tile that I worked was a close as any rock that i have worked. I have only worked one pc of tile so probably all is not equal, I have worked some Johnny stone but with mixed results. Good Luck an hang in there, The learning curve can be long an hard but well worth it in the end, if there is an end.  Bob

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 08:09:10 pm »
That's all good advice.  I have just started doing this.  I work four or five down to preform, then go back and work a little on each one, if I get frustrated I quit before I break it, hopfully, and grab another piece and go again.  I like to make or find all my tools, but I'm a hillbilly and have all kinda of stuff laying around.   ;D  Muy buddy told me his mom bought me a copper bopper @ the stae fair this year though, and I'm excited to get it and start using it.  Good luck buddy, keep doing it and you'll start to see the progress.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline WolfPupTee

• You don't understand what I'm doing, but I do.
    • The Artis Den
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 08:18:18 pm »
Wow guys thanks. :) I wasn't expecting such quick responses. I like that stages idea actually and I don't mind long windedness  ;D thanks for the info. Maybe I'll get the hang of this.
Plays With Bow and Arrow