Author Topic: Opening Morning  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Gordon

Opening Morning
« on: September 05, 2011, 12:09:17 pm »
I had formulated a plan for opening morning based on scouting and noting the movements of a particular herd. I knew the Plan was good only for the first morning as hunting pressure compels the elk to change their patterns almost immediately. The Plan entailed threading through the swamp using a trail that I had established, positioning myself in the timber just back from the edge of the meadow, and calling as the elk left at first light for the safety of the thick timber.  I had tested my strategy the week before and it worked perfectly and so I was confident it could work again.

I arrive on Thursday evening. This is a popular hunting area so I camp in a secluded spot away from the mass of humanity and machines that will be spilling into the valley all night and the next day. By Friday afternoon the place looks like the opening of rifle season with hunters camped at every pullout off the main road – it was as crowded as I have ever seen it. Given the number of people, ATV’s, gunfire (really!), generators, etc., I know that my only hope is a perfect execution of my opening morning strategy. I figure I'd have between 30 and 45 minutes before a horde of eager hunters overruns my position and the herd that I had carefully observed for the past weeks would alter their routine for the remainder of the season.

I awake at 4:00 AM, gulp down some orange juice and slip silently past dark camps full of hunters dreamily visualizing trophy elk. When I arrive at my trail I flip on the red headlamp and navigate to my setup spot using the reflective pins that mark the approach. I cut the light, sit quietly in the blackness of the swamp and began the wait. Within minutes I am enveloped by the sound of cow elk. A bull bugles off to my right. My thoughts are screaming – this is too early, they shouldn’t be here yet, I have no light! The herd noises fade and a bull bugles distantly to my left.  The forest returns to quiet. The elk are gone and so is my best chance, defeated by a slight variance in timing. I sit pondering what just happened when I realize an alternate route that I had prepared the previous year was in the path of the moving herd.  I hurriedly backtrack to the main road, sprint to the head of the other trail, and tumble back into the swamp hoping desperately to cut them off.

Upon reaching my new spot I plop down and began to listen for the telltale cow calls, splashing and snapping branches that indicate a herd is moving - nothing. Had the herd passed? Perhaps they stopped to water and have not yet arrived. I strain to hear any slight noise that might reveal their presence - nothing. Well, no point wasting a perfectly good setup and I could certainly use the practice.  My calling routine begins with light cow calling, ratcheting up then breaking in with light chuckles and some short squeals. Some long pauses and then a chorus of cow calls to suggest an excited herd capped with a bugling crescendo. The routine felt right and I am satisfied that my calling skills had recovered from the long hiatus between hunting seasons. I begin the final 10 minute wait when I hear a slight crunching sound in the trees just beyond sight. Could that be the sound of an elk stepping on skunk cabbage? I wait expectantly. Another crunch followed by a snap. A squirrel sounds off with fast and high pitch chatter. Could this be an elk? After more agonizing waiting, I turn my head toward a slight rustling to witness antlers rising up from behind a giant fallen log.  With an easy fluid movement an elk leaps over the log and stands broadside at 40 yards. I catch myself as I gasp at the sheer mass of this magnificent animal. It is the size of a large horse and its body is covered with mud from wallowing. I try not to look at the horns, but I see shards of torn velvet hanging loosely from antler tines. It stands still for a moment and swings its antlers and head back and forth looking for the interloper whose butt it is surely about kick. But the distance is too much for my primitive bow – the bull would have to come closer for me to chance loosing an arrow at it.  I watch in awe as it steps forward, its massive shoulder and leg muscles rippling in the dappled light. It begins moving toward me. I struggle to control my breathing, my heart is beating violently, I need to somehow regain my composure – I feel like I am going to faint.

What happens next I am not certain. The bull appears directly before me like an apparition. Instinctively my bow arm raises and my body prepares to act. A moment ago I was shaking and my mind was buzzing but now I am eerily calm. The gray-brown of the bull’s huge body fills my vision and I focus on a crease between the front leg and rib cage.  For thousands of years men’s survival hung in the balance on moments like this. That is no longer the case, but the primal blood of my hunter-gatherer ancestors still courses through my body and I feel how they must have.  I taste bile, take a breath and draw my bow back.

It is gone. Somehow a thousand pounds of flesh, bone and horns has managed to pivot and vanish before the arrow is away. I instantly realize that I had violated a basic tenant of close encounter hunting – wait until your prey cannot detect your movement before you strike.  I listen after the bull as it crashes through the dense foliage. I even manage a half-hearted cow call in hope that it might stop, but it does not. Today the great bull elk will live, and the hunter leaves empty-handed and humbled.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 06:45:14 pm by Gordon »
Gordon

Offline sonny

Re: Opening Morning
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:20:30 pm »
nicely told Gordon!
There's nothing quite like the mental imagery that appears when reading a good hunting story!

thanks for taking the time to post.
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 01:11:53 pm »
Great story.  I know from experience it can be very hard to hold back in situations like that.  You see this monster in front of you and want him so bad, you begin to think if you don't draw soon he's going to disappear into the bush.

I am fortunate enough that in archery season, I don't have to deal with any pressure from other hunters where I hunt. I can just imagine how disappointing it would be to put in all the time and effort before the season opens just to have some other hopeful hunter put your plans to waste.

Do you have another hunt planned?  I wish you luck on the next one!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:38:22 pm »
 Wow! If that was Opening Day it sounds like you have a good season ahead of you. Cool story and good luck on the rest of the season.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:02:15 pm »
i have never been hunting, but this makes me consider it ;D
i hope you eventually get it
noel
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Gordon

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:57 pm »
Thank you Sonny. It was a particluarly vivid experience so I thought I would share.

Thank you Cameroo. I pretty much have to hunt public lands so you take the good with the bad. I have pack-in elk hunt planned for the Eagle Cap wilderness in NE Oregon. Still public land, but it will be much less crowded there.

Thank you mullet.

Thank you Noel. I started hunting late in life. I had no idea what what I was missing.
Gordon

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 02:23:44 am »
Gordon,

For a few moments I was in that swamp with you instead of this hot and try Texas land. Reading the story was an attack on all my senses and even felt a sense of Withering Heights. It happens to the best of us. The first time I saw a bear, it was so up close and personal that the grains of sand sparkled on his claws and I failed to nock an arrow. Best of luck for the rest of your season.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 10:07:54 am »
Very nicely told story of the one that got away! Anyone who has hunted much has their own similar stories...mine are about the deer that got away...but not all of them do, get away that is. ;) Good luck on your next hunt, and I look forward to sharing it with you through your stories.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:25:27 pm »
What a spectacular story Gordon.  Your writing is marvelous and I felt like I was right beside you looking over your shoulder seeing the same images you saw.  What a tremendous thrill that must have been to feel the spirit of a Bull like that...someday I will hunt those Elk!
`
Thanks for sharing and best of luck on your next encounter!!!
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 02:13:49 pm »
Incredible story Gordon, like Cipriano I felt like  I was there. Sincerely hope the next time you see one you get to take a shot.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline PeteC

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:35:25 pm »
Wonderful story of an exciting hunt.Great job. God bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:05:23 pm »
If you were not humbled by that sight you would not have deserved it.  I can only imagine the terrible beauty of that moment.  Thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 11:22:59 pm »
I was breathing hard right there with ya. Sounds like a success even without the meat.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 11:44:56 pm »
A guy that I know who hunts elk almost yearly. HE says the lowest percentage move you can make is to try to hustle back out and run around to intercept elk.  Since they can move so much faster and quieter than us often you end up behind them again but make a pile of noise in the meanwhile.  Or else you bump satellite bulls...or quiet cows...or a deer! 

Your advanced scouting and knowledge of the landscape really paid off.  Just the fact that you got into his personal space and got set up before he blew up is an incredible feat in itself.  I just read it over again and got the willies all over!  Wow, what a ride!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2011, 02:35:42 am »
The experience was intense for me, but I wasn't sure I could express it in a way the other people would appreciate. But clearly you all get it. You guys are terrific - thank you.

JW, trying to cut off a heard by circuling around almost never works for the reasons you expressed and I rarely attempt that tactic anymore. But I had a few things going for me this time: 1) the elk did not detect my first setup and so were not spooked, 2) I knew where they were likely to go based on weeks of observation, 3) I happened to have an intercept path already cleared so I could get back in quick and silent and 4) I had a bit of luck going my way. I just couldn't make the kill, but like you said - what a ride!

I'm off to the Eagle Cap Wilderness now to take another swing at it. I'm with 3 other really good hunters and I know the area well. I expect there will be more story material coming out of this adventure.

Good hunting to you all!
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 02:38:45 am by Gordon »
Gordon