Author Topic: black locust sapwood  (Read 2216 times)

Offline hammerstone

black locust sapwood
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:00:51 pm »
hey guys.dont do a lot of posting but i have a question.i have a black locust stave i got a couple summers ago.i peeled the bark off it and sealed it. the sapwood is pretty thick and without taking it down the bow will be mostly sapwood.will it make a shooter?i,ve made locust bows before but its been a while & i cant remember how much sapwood i left on.

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: black locust sapwood
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 09:35:38 pm »
Well, for what it's worth I won't try sapwood on a BL again...straight down to heartwood from now on.

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 09:49:50 pm »
Lee
did you get slapped by that one? Looks like a TIC>>>TIC>>>SNAP that i had one time. Felt like I got hammered by Mike Tyson! ???

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 10:21:06 pm »
Ahhh Yuuuup!  Almost busted my glasses and gave one heck of a sore nose and watery eyes!    :o :'(

All my BL bows will be SAPWOOD-LESS!  LOL
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 10:38:45 pm »
Well, hammerstone, the best scenario is take off the sapwood. But you can't do that and have enough wood to make a bow. The second best scenario is to get as close to the heartwood as you can and then make a bow. Sapwood in a tree turns into heartwood so the closer to the heartwood the stronger the sapwood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline hammerstone

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 12:20:11 am »
well i guess i,ll break out one of the draw knives. i was just trying to be lazy.i definately have enough heartwood to make a bow but that back is just so flawless the way it is.