Author Topic: draw lingth question  (Read 2486 times)

Offline soy

• pm106221
draw lingth question
« on: September 05, 2011, 02:32:14 am »
In DQ's post g.stoneburg says the draw lingth is measured from the back not the belly is that the way it is??? If so I've been doing it WRONG! And that also poses the question is brace measured the same?  ???
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: draw lingth question
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 02:39:00 am »
I measure draw length from the back of the bow at the grip and I measure brace height from the belly of the grip. I might be doing it wrong too but this is how I do it and it works ;D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 02:47:02 am »
Thanks josh I feel pretty silly 7bows measured wrong I guess id best go back and read my copys of tbb before I continue messing up any more :D

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 02:51:01 am »
Soy you may be doing it right! I could be the one doing it incorectly, someone will confirm  :D I figure if it works it works ;)
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 03:52:22 am »
So long as they shoot I guess...but I hate to mis represent to whom they now belong thanks agan for the help  ;)

Thad soy

Offline CraigMBeckett

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 04:39:01 am »
Gentlemen,

Draw length measurement is for the length of your arrow, you pull the arrow so the head touches your fingers or the front of your arrow rest which are at or near the back of the bow so draw length is measured to the back of the bow. Because brace height is regularly measured sing the fistmele it is measured from the belly. This applies to primitive/traditional type equipment.

Having said that I believe the AMO or whatever they call themselves these days has different ideas with regard to draw length, but they are a manufacturing organisation who look for ways that manufacturers of widely differently shaped equipment may apply the same set of rules, not necesarily what is logical. I believe they measure draw length from the belly or a point on the back of the grip and add 1.5 or is it 1.25 inches, which is all well and good except for the bows whose grip/riser area is greater than this and the measurement ends up somewhere along the side of the bow.

Craig.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 04:46:33 am by CraigMBeckett »

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 09:42:05 am »
Thanks josh I feel pretty silly 7bows measured wrong I guess id best go back and read my copys of tbb before I continue messing up any more :D
If it makes you feel better, I measured my first few that way.  :-X No big deal, what is important is we learned as we went and now we know better.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 09:30:21 pm »
Thanks for the info guys ;D it makes sense

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 10:16:08 pm »
It doesn't matter, except that you're stressing your bow a little more than you need to and your draw weight is a little lower than you think.  Unless you're building a real short bow you should be fine.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 10:44:39 pm »
Yes and yes. :) Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!