Author Topic: Salvage the situation.  (Read 2160 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Salvage the situation.
« on: September 05, 2011, 05:22:48 am »
So I'll try to get some photos up.  I've broken two ELB style bows from the Lyptus with bamboo backing.  The third I decided to put on a bamboo belly.  Turns out I didn't have a great sense of how much extra strength the extra layer will add.  Post glue up was a broomstick.  So I split it on the he band saw and cut allot of the Lyptus out with and planes.  Didn't get a straight clean shave so ... ... work work work to fix stuff and now I'm almost ready to re-glue.  I'm wondering if I can save this Lyptus stuff by sandwiching it between Bamboo. 

So I don't know what kind of bow I'll have.  It started as another ELB but now the limbs are not "rounded" much so it's somewhere between ELB and Flat bow.  I consider flipping the tips just for fun but they are kinda narrow.  Maybee I'll call it fantasy bow?  Doing this stuff with hand planes and scrapers is allot of work.  Cant wait to pick up a belt sander.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Salvage the situation.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 11:39:56 am »
You gotta work pretty hard to break boo backed anything. I have seen almost 45 degree hinges in boo backed bows that didnt break.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 01:54:30 am »
I shouldn't have said "broke",  but I got a crack across the belly material that went pretty much to the backing.  I think Lyptus dislikes "D" corss sections.

Crap, I forgot to get pics.  Well I took the 4 year old daughter fishing for her first time today. 

Priorities man. 

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 04:53:34 am »
...Well I took the 4 year old daughter fishing for her first time today. 
Great  ;D, ya can't have those days again so you gotta savour them while you can.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2011, 02:07:38 am »
She caught three fish and was dancing.  At bed time she said "maybe we can go again tomorrow". . . it must be genetic.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2011, 02:15:06 am »
i can remember my first few times fishing, as you can tell by my name it had quite an  impact ;D
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 02:21:01 am »
 :)  Yea.  I'm trying to build up to making a deep draw shortie that I can shoot primative from my kayak.  We get a TON of carp (BIG) around here.  Guys come with their boats and they split.  There are even two people with fan boats.  You can hear them two counties over.  I get fish so close I consider putting a spear on the end of the paddle.

Birds and animals will let you get super close also.  I don't know if it's legal or not but I could limit out if I could shoot Turkey and Deer from a kayak.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2011, 10:14:20 pm »
AAAARRRGHH!

Bow number 4 broke.  The two layers of bamboo seperated with Lyptus soundly stuck to each side.  It was feeling wonderful wile it was flexing on the tree.  Belly boo lam broke after the center broke.  the back I coudl salvage.  PLaning to use it again but it's only 1" wide at the center now.
 :o