Author Topic: Problems bending BL(tiller check)  (Read 3801 times)

Offline okie64

Problems bending BL(tiller check)
« on: August 15, 2011, 08:57:30 pm »
Just wanderin if anyone else has had trouble bending black locust. I have heated this thing up 3 times with a heat gun and I cant get it to stay where I want it to. I bent it quite a bit past where it needed to be for the string to line up with the center of the handle and it keeps working its way back toward where it was before. I'm pretty sure I'm using enough heat( the belly is pretty dark brown now). May be that I'm just used to bending osage and this is nothing like that. Any tips are appreciated.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:09:13 pm by okie64 »

Offline bareshaft12

Re: Problems bending BL
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2011, 09:13:03 pm »
put in some clamps an let cool down in the clamps.bl is by far osage. Ive made some bl bows

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2011, 09:41:46 pm »
How far from the center of the handle is the string? Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2011, 11:18:44 pm »
If you are having trouble getting it to bend at the handle you could always bend a little a few inches from each tip to get it where you want it. As bareshaft said I always heat it up nice and slow to where I cant hold my hand on it for more than a second or two then clamp it and let it cool. I sometimes let it cool over night if im having trouble with it walking back to where it was. I also dont usually mind if the string is not centered in the grip as long as it favors the shooting side of the grip.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2011, 11:50:23 pm »
How far from the center of the handle is the string? Jawge

Its about an inch from the center of the handle. The handle is right in the middle of the wiggle you see in the middle of the bow. I laid it out so when I get the string over to the middle of the handle it should be almost centershot where the arrow rest will be(about an inch above that). I thought it was a good idea, maybe not????

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 06:27:39 am »
Use steam on black locust - it will work much better for this type of bending. Remember you are trying to bend a lot of wood there. I would steam it for 90mins and then clamp past where you want it and leave for 24 hrs.

Offline okie64

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:59:49 am »
Thanks for all the tips guys. I clamped it and heated it again tonight and I'll see what it looks like in the morning. Usually when I bend osage I clamp the handle in a vice and hang some weights on the limb while I heat it up and let it  bend on its own. Apparently that method doesnt work with bl.

Offline okie64

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 12:39:23 am »
The clamps and heat worked great. I got the string lined up really close to center on the handle. Now onto tillering. Thanks for the input from everyone.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2011, 10:00:57 am »
Good job Okie...I followed Mikes advice yesterday and steamed my current BL build for an hour & a 1/2 and clamped it to my caul.  It was wickedly twisted and had a heavy propeller twist, it all cam out great and I couldn't be more pleased. 

(Thanks for the advice Mike!)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2011, 10:49:44 am »
What's the problem? Looks like the string is on the handle. I'd make a bow. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline okie64

Re: Problems bending BL(Tiller check)
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 06:02:10 pm »
Got a chance to work on this one a little bit and heres what I got so far. One limb has a big kink and some deflex goin into the kink so its kinda hard for me to judge so if you got any opinions let me hear em. I'm tryin to go mainly off of thickness taper and how it feels in the hand but its hard to not want to scrape some more wood around that kink to get it workin more. Its at 45# at 22" in these pics.

Heres the sideview profile of that limb.

Here it is on the tree with the kink on the right.

Kink on the left
« Last Edit: September 03, 2011, 06:07:35 pm by okie64 »

Offline JonW

Re: Problems bending BL(tiller check)
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2011, 07:00:44 pm »
Looks real close so far. It may be deceiving, but it looks like the limb with the kink has a flat spot between the kink and fade.
I would take some other opinions though.

Offline randman

Re: Problems bending BL(tiller check)
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2011, 07:16:19 pm »
Great job on that tiller. Looks like it is bending equally on both limbs despite the wiggly spot. Got a few wiggly ones like that of my own. I'm learnin a lot on them. How to imagine a curve dividing the wiggly places down the middle matching the other limbs curve. Hopefully mine will come out as nice as yours.
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.