Author Topic: You won't believe what I found!  (Read 11474 times)

Offline FlintWalker

Re: You won't believe what I found!
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 08:19:58 pm »
I don't see any Hackberry in that pile :-\ You sure???
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline gmc

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 10:46:40 pm »
Yeah, I've got to agree- must have forgotten to load the hackberry, Lee.

Nevertheless, fine stash you got there and will look forward to all those wonderful bows in future.
Central Kentucky

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 11:09:58 pm »
leee dont debrark the yew till ur ready to make ur bow  i never do just scrape it when ur ready to make the bow save that sap man  brock >:D :o

Dang Brock...they were the 1st to get debarked as I valued them the most and wanted to make sure they got sealed and in the AC basement to start the drying process.  I did scrape em right down to the sapwood and left it all on though so hopefully they will still be ok?

I thought you were out chasing Elk this week?
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline bcbull

« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 01:00:30 am »
yep lee  ull b ok i seal
lmy yew staves with anchor seal  if u scrapped it ur fine but man i never touch the yew bark till im ready to make the bow i just seal the end s i been socutin a bit  waitin for string man and j r to get here they ll be in sat a m early i may head up friday meet em up there raing good again tonite were in good shap not walkin on egg shells anyway the bulls are relley bugling  early this year im rearing to go  brock

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 01:06:23 am »
Nice find, Lee!  If memory serves me correctly, Elm has sticky leaves?
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 02:03:06 pm »
Dang, must not be Hackberry then since that seems to be the consensus.  So any ideas what it might be then?

Here are some shots of some leaves, bark & the end grain up close...

I was also wondering if anyone can help me tell the difference between Pacific Yew, Irish Yew and English Yew?  Here is a pic that may possibly help ID these buggers.

Many thanks all!
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

blackhawk

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 02:21:22 pm »
Looks like Leeosus Slikkerscapus.... :laugh:

As far as the yew goes pacific has a more tan n brownish in the heartwood. And the english is more orangish creamy to reddish in it.

Ps...looks like elm to me. Elm ,hackberry,who cares...both good stuff. Make some bows out of it.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 03:06:06 pm »
looks like elm to me.. maybe slippery elm
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 04:49:02 pm »
Hey Buckeye, come on up  >:D

Thanks for the new latin name on the Yew, I like it!

Hey Fruit-the-loop, guess I'll settle with Elm then, oh well.  Still searching for that elusive Hackberry I guess.
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline JonW

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 05:11:51 pm »
Lee,
       Hackberry looks like nothing else in the woods. The bark will have what looks like a bad case of warts :). When you figure it out it will stick out like no other tree around.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 05:28:58 pm »
I hope i am right coco puffs 8)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Dvshunter

« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:31 pm »
nice haul lee. That looks like elm to me. I'll trade you a stave of elm for a stave of hackberry. ;D
"There is a natural mystic blowing through the air; if you listen carefully now you will hear." Robert Nesta Marley

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 11:51:01 pm »
I knew I shoulda gotten a falcon :(

arrggg, if I had a buck for every time I've heard that lately while out hunting with my hawks & falcons I think I could retire early.   ::)

Yes, Lee, I am sure yew Cuda retired.      >:D

(Psst...got our 25 yr old redtailed hawk's weight down from 5# to 3#, 13 oz and she is keen enough to fly to glove for the first time in 7 years!)
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #28 on: September 02, 2011, 03:10:00 am »
Sounds good Jon, I'll have to make a note to get a good ID book to help me out I guess.

Coockoo for Coco Puffs...indeed!

Hey DVS, I take it that means that the Elm I have may be preferred to Hackberry then?  That stuff sure is a pain in the butt to debark, got all but 1 of the "Elms" sealed and in the basement.

JW...that is a pretty good laugh!  Cuda will appreciate it too  ;D  congrats on getting the old Red working for a living....she should be happier earning her food vs just getting it tossed to her.  Happy for ya!
~ Lee

— Aldo Leopold

Offline bcbull

« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 03:20:37 am »
lee it s elm  sure of it i got tons of it here haha u get ya a couple 12 in logs of it to split i gureente ya will say makes a hell of a bow but it s a pain to split the interlockin grain is why pound paass out pound some more may take ya a while but ull be in mighty fine shape for elk sean next year if ya start splittn elm  heck ill even trade ya some hackberry for that elm lolol i love it hate splittin it  brock ;D O:)