Author Topic: my best point yet  (Read 1545 times)

Offline iowabow

my best point yet
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:58:57 pm »
although this point looks like many of my other points it is different.  I really thinned this one out and was able to plan platforms so that they would travel to center.  I made this point before I went to work this morning.  This is a set-a-side point for me. I think I will put it away until I can make a better point. I am not sure I am going to be able to make a better hunting point than this till next year, fall is almost here and I am going to be in the woods.   I started making arrowheads about 9 months ago and today is the first day I think I got it right.  I was able to work the leather pad without knocking off the otherside of the edge with overshot pressure flaking.  So for those of you just starting don't give up it is worth the challenge.  People like Sawfiler, leapingbare, Tower, Cowboy, and so many others I can't list them all are really good people and are very helpful great guys for a beginner to learn from and it is great that you share what you know with all of us.

(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline GooseGossett

Re: my best point yet
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 08:30:25 pm »
That give me a hope that I might get close one of these days.  Thanks for spurring me on.  I love the profile of that point. 
1 John 3:18 "Little children, let us not love in word or talk but in deed and in truth. "

Offline Tower

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:09 pm »
That is a nice point! Uniform, clean, even notches. Well done!
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 09:42:34 pm »
I just finished hafting one to one of my hunting arrows that was made by a guy whose been knapping a good bit longer than you and it didn't look near that good! I ain't saying who made it ::) :-X
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2011, 12:27:40 am »
It's almost 10pm, I've got two hours before I need to be in bed, I'm gonna go burn up some batteries in my head lamp and make flakes.  Thanks for the vote of confidence.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2011, 12:57:50 am »
When you make one better than that one, I'll gladly take you culls.  I'd strap that on one of my shafts with no hesitation.  With 11 more, I'd have a nice set!
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI