Author Topic: More broken rock.  (Read 2292 times)

Offline Jimbob

More broken rock.
« on: September 05, 2011, 10:26:13 am »
Well I started off with a decent spall of TX flint, started trying to thin it out and everything was going well untill.......
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
Re: More broken rock.
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2011, 12:05:10 pm »
OOH.  :'( 

Look at the bright side, now maybe you can get two points outta that pertty rock.  :D ???
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

blackhawk

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2011, 04:35:27 pm »
Suck...did it break in percussion or pressure flaking?

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 04:40:37 pm »
Percussion.....  :(
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 04:44:16 pm »
As you progress you'll be able to get them thinner and closer to completion before you break them.  It's more painful then... :'( :'( :'(  I did one already this morning. :-[

I feel your pain.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline seider

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 11:08:13 pm »
dont feel bad i broke 3 real nice preforms i had i am pretty new at this and have not wrapped my head around the fact that its just a rock until its finished, in my eyes i can see the point in it so its finished in my mind.  Sorry for you though.
Now is the time for all good men to come to the aid of there country.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 09:38:41 am »
Thanks George.

Seider- I too try to see the point i want out of the rock, it helps me kind of like a game plan.

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 11:08:27 am »
like to know where it was hit and how it was held when it broke. looks like an end shock hit
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 02:06:58 pm »
Yeah, it was an end hit.  I had it supported by my thigh but I guess not enough.

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2011, 12:06:26 am »
Yes Sir,

Sorry to see that.

Many of my offerings to the Knapping godz look similar... :)

I'm about sixty pounds into this kapping thang and I think I finally have enough small hunting points to setup a nice mismatched set of six hunting arrahs.
Ten pounds per point?
Whew Who!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 12:34:40 pm »
Yep, that's a bummer :(. Not enough support or too steep of an angle or both. I like to thin from the sides the mojority of the time. But then again, fluting those big clovis points ya gotta kinda hit it on the end no if's and's or but's. That was looking good.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

JustinNC

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 11:39:02 pm »
tip support tip support tip support...and dont get above center!....I see potential for a couple indian bullets out of those pieces left.

Offline Tower

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2011, 01:46:44 pm »
I agree. Support the preform. I broke many a beauties before that lesson was learned, & its a hard one too.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!