Author Topic: Not my night  (Read 3456 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Not my night
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2011, 01:59:25 pm »
Dang George!  Sorry to read this...been at exactly the same place this week as I have a BL bow blow up on me in tension as well but I had left about a 1/4" of sapwood on it for the back.  This bow had already been shooting nicely and had a ton of great character, especially in the sapwood.  Such is the life of this beginning Bowyer  :-[

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline half eye

« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2011, 02:10:27 pm »
George,
      Your a better man than me.....lookin at that reflex shot, I'd have to hand it to ya about a "scoshy-bit" of reflex !!!!!  >:D   the only thing good about it is that now I know I aint the only one what still breaks some ::)   Hell man, know for a fact ya aint scared of no chunk of wood,eh?
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2011, 02:23:24 pm »
LOL Rich.  I sure aint afraid to try, but my odds for succeeding with this much reflex aren't so good. :-[  I couldn't keep the thing from flipping on me when I strung it.  I don't know how they do those reflexed horn bows...dang that must be tough.  It would have been funny to get a picture of me holding the bow on my scale with one hand, pulling the rope to put some flex on the thing and then trying to get a good enough look at it to do some tillering. ::)  If I'd had 2 more hands I maybe could've done it.  If I let go of it I'd get about a second of looking before the string flipped and stuff went flying all directions.  It was never boring for sure.

Nice job on that character bow by the way.  Looks like you're ready for some of my signature crooked staves. >:D

George
St Paul, TX

Offline half eye

« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2011, 02:28:53 pm »
George,
    I been talkin to that little yeller fella, he's was kinda stuburn but we come to an understanding, him and me. After he rests up just a bit we gonna get out the cuttin tools, so we'll see if I can manage to screw that up............PS: how da ya get rid of all the yeller dust? :D
rich

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2011, 04:02:40 pm »
That's natures way of tellin' you to quit with that stave ;D
Just as well you have another in reserve ;)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2011, 05:14:50 pm »
....PS: how da ya get rid of all the yeller dust? :D
rich

I got faith in ya for sure Rich.  As for the dust, I usually put some on my t-shirt, then bring that in to be washed so that yellow gets over all our clothes.  Seems to make Mary extra happy. ;)  (It really does stain so be careful with clothes you care about.)  Actually, I try to keep a bunch of sawdust on hand so I can fill up borer holes and other problems. 

That's natures way of tellin' you to quit with that stave ;D
Just as well you have another in reserve ;)
Del

I agree on both counts.  Perhaps I should get right back on that horse. :)  That stave is straight so I won't be able to whine about all the heatings.  Be better for the wood too.  Thanks again.

George
St Paul, TX

youngbowyer

« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2011, 11:41:11 pm »
sorry to see that George. Maybe it was the compression wood ??? Anyway i'll send you another one next week. Which one do you want?