Author Topic: IPE Core Knots  (Read 2397 times)

Offline bigcountry

IPE Core Knots
« on: August 30, 2011, 10:00:02 am »
I started another Bamboo backed IPE bow.  While cutting out the core, I notice a knot.  The top of the knot (left side) will be the back that is glued to the boo.   The exit of the knot (right side of picture) will be the side.  Would you move on to another core?  Or give it a try?  Not sure if I should bother with this piece.

Westminster, MD

Offline bigcountry

Re: IPE Core Knots
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 10:03:55 am »
Here's a better picture

Westminster, MD

Offline NTD

« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 01:28:39 pm »
I wouldn't use it.  Unless that knot was going to be in the riser area of a non bending handle bow.
Nate Danforth

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 02:57:43 pm »
I second NTD

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:20:54 pm »
I would be a little gun shy of using that piece. I have only worked Ipe a few times and I found out that knots and Ipe don't get along. Dean

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 03:59:24 pm »
Let me know if you decide not to use it,  I will pay the freight for you to send it to me if you want to. You could cut it in half and I will splice it back together.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline NTD

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 04:15:12 pm »
I've had good luck with knots that run perpendicular on the board from back to belly but diagonally all the way through the width of the board like that that has never been good news for me.

I think Chris's idea about cutting it and re splicing it would be a great idea.  If you're going for an R/D you could even use that to your advantage and splice in a bit of the deflex :)
Nate Danforth

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 10:56:12 pm »
I think I have decided to make a bend in a handle bow out of this.  My core is 68" and with that length, I will just glue it up, and lay it aside for a while.   I figured a D bow won't put too much stress on the limbs.

I have glueing up a bunch of bows lately, because I have a pint of URAC, I want to use up. 
Westminster, MD

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 09:59:20 am »
Hey Big give this a try. Its easy and bomb proofs the bow.............almost. Its a .060" lam of osage glued down bending at the fades an runs about 10-12" from the tips. It added plenty of draw that I wanted. For you, it would add security and you can build a rigid handle bow like you set out to do. Dont let that stinkin knot stop you man! ;)
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2011, 10:03:07 am »
One more to show thge fades.

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2011, 10:49:23 am »
hmm, that looks very cool. 
Westminster, MD