Author Topic: Modified Stave Vise (pics)  (Read 2957 times)

Offline Lee Slikkers

Modified Stave Vise (pics)
« on: September 06, 2011, 02:54:12 pm »
Hey gang, I thought I'd share a few pics of my recently made Stave Vise.  My main use for this is debarking and prepping staves prior to sealing them and hopefully for some of the gatherings so I have something small and portable.

The top piece is basically a knockoff of the Stave Press and I mounted that onto a pretty nifty ball vise type base.  This is basically a ball hitch that is trapped on a pipe housing that has a locking/tightening lever on the side to lock down the ball.  Once the staves are in the Vise I can swivel them around 180 degrees, flop them on their left & right sides and only have to open the vise to reposition the stave once to get to the underside (on sapling or branch staves)

I have been using it for about a week now and am not sure how I lived without it.   Enjoy~

8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Modified Stave Vise (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2011, 03:06:50 pm »
Man that is awesome!!
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2011, 03:08:46 pm »
OOOOOHHHHH, I like it!  That thing sure would come in handy right now.  How wide of a stave will it hold?
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2011, 03:12:01 pm »
Yes Sir,

Very Nice.

Have a Stave Press, have to get it mounted yet...  :)

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

blackhawk

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2011, 03:13:59 pm »
About time you show that baby off Lee.  ;)

Guys I saw it in person and its freakin sweeeeet. I didn't get to use it,but I could see its bombproof.

We Missed ya at flint ridge....you should've came down and brought that baby with ya and pulled some shaving s with her.

You wanna make another and do a trade with me??? What ya want/need?

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2011, 03:22:34 pm »
That is very cool Lee! I bet that works great!
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2011, 06:57:17 pm »
I like that good idea thanks for sharing

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2011, 07:55:55 pm »
I like it!...so, when will they be available!!! ;D
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 09:02:31 pm »
hmmmmm I like it, I just hope it isn't a copyright infringement.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 09:07:16 pm »
Thanks for all the kind words guys.  This is a "one & only" and I don't have the means to put together another one and as Justin mentioned, someone is already selling the upper part of the Press.

I followed the Stave Press design to a tee on the upper.  The bottom half of vise with the ball joint is part of a vise I used when I carved decoys for some of the big shows, etc and it was great to be able to swing your bird 360 plus lay it on either side while I carved or painted.  A friend of mine put this part together for me and went on to market and sell them to the carvers market so it too has a copyright.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold