Author Topic: just a quick one.  (Read 1590 times)

Offline Dazv

just a quick one.
« on: September 02, 2011, 08:25:12 am »
Hi all i better say hello.

before i start just a little about me iam darren and i live in england thats it really ;D.

so anyways iam working on an english oak bend in the handle 1and 1/4 inches wide and i just it cut at 64 inch tip to tip. What i woul like to ask is at what length should i cut it for a 27 inch draw??? I know that with a longer bow comes more speed but 64 inch just seems huge.

thanks alot guys
darren

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: just a quick one.
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 08:59:28 am »
 minimum for me,[at least most of the  time] is double the draw length and add the non bending part of the handle and fads. so 27 draw would be 54 inches + handle area. I personally like 64 Tip to tip ,that is only about 62 N-N and as has been discussed lately that is what really matters.  :) I don't this 64 is hudge. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dazv

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:56:51 am »
Thanks alot Pappy
I think iam going to make it 60 n-n. What do you think about the width it dose feel pretty wide in the hand do you think it would be better to go to an inch wide??? The bow tapers from midlimb to 1/2 tips bet they will be narrowed.
thanks alot

darren

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2011, 10:23:51 am »
Dazv,
     Your width is pretty much standard by Native American bow stardards. Most of the ones in the museums from the Eastern Woodland area are between 1-1/8" and 1-1/4" wide in the "D" bows. From my experience on the shorter lengths (50" for my 26" draw) the most common error is trying to maintain stiff tips.....that will put too much bend in the center. Tiller your "circle" from the tips toward the grip in order to get you "circle" profile w/o over stressing the center.
     I've made NA bows as wide as 1-3/4" and have had no trouble with gettin an arrow around the bow. Just one guy's opinon though. Allmost forgot, the wide and thin bow is easier to shoot with a grip that uses only the "web" of your bow hand thumb and forefinger (upper half of your palmar surface)
rich
PS: I believe that PAPPY gave you real good advice for your first go-around with this style of bow, and you can allways shorten later if ya get the urge.

Offline Dazv

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2011, 10:41:28 am »
thanks rich I have mad d style bows before but i have not give a "circle" tiller ago yet. That dose seem like a good idea to keep it long because is i come under my 50 pound goal i Can always shorten and re-tiller.
thanks allot for the advice guys

Darren