Author Topic: fire  (Read 1425 times)

Offline butch

fire
« on: August 26, 2011, 09:45:34 am »
last spring we had a ground fire on 60 acres of m ixed white and black oak and some hickory, it was hot enough to pop some of the bark off. any exsperience on useing fire killed wood for bows.           thanks. butch

Offline Hrothgar

Re: fire
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2011, 10:18:30 am »
I can relate. If the wood isn't split from the heat, it should be ok. A word of advice...what trees that seem to have survived with minimal damage--especially white woods--will become bug infested in the next couple years. Some of the trees will very gradually die and if you try to cut and use the wood several years from now it will be too late. Also. I had a couple osage trunks split from the heat although the bark and outer rings received little fire damage. I tried using some of this but found a hidden crack or two deeper inside. I guess the short answer would be;  leave the badly damaged trees for firewood and cut down the marginally damaged ones BEFORE the bugs move in.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline butch

Re: fire
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 11:37:35 am »
thanks for the information. i was thinking of fire hardend wood , might make stronger bows. i have hundreds of hickory and oak saplings available so ill stick with them.