Author Topic: Stickboy's first stickbow  (Read 3381 times)

Offline Stickboy

Re: Stickboy's first stickbow
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2011, 07:44:19 pm »
Oh, I feel pretty well hooked on this, so I'll definitely keep it up!  But, I'm stubborn enough that I'm not giving up on this first one just yet: I'm determined to shoot it.  If it explodes on draw, so be it -- the arrow will fall a few inches, at least.  More bows will be made (many I hope), but this one will release one arrow before being retired to the wall.  I want to see how far I can push this, and how much I can manage to fix.  It's been a great learning experience so far; let's see what else I can learn from it.  I hope to go to my uncle's farm in a couple weeks to cut a few hedgeapple staves, and maybe a walnut and sycamore or two.

Here's the progress on my pine bow repair, so far:
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38

Offline Stickboy

Re: Stickboy's first stickbow
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2011, 12:33:03 pm »
Well, it's been a while, so I figured I should update this.  Finished the "bow", and did fire one arrow from it like I wanted.  Flew all of three feet.  Despite my best efforts, that break remains too weak to make a formidable bow.  But, I think I learned a lot from it, and it will sit on top of the book case until I need some kindling.  Moving on to another bow made from red maple now.
"A man should not step one foot
forth in the field without weapons.
One cannot know, when on the road,
when he will need his spear." - Havamal, 38