Author Topic: Afghanistan Rocks?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline Jimbob

Afghanistan Rocks?
« on: August 19, 2011, 12:46:27 pm »
I am expecting some rocks from Afghanistan in the mail from a buddy of mine that was recently there, and was wondering if anyone had heard of anything from that part of the world being knappable.  He said that it flaked off when I asked about but he isnt a knapper so Im not sure if he knew what I meant but it should be here in a few days, really looking foward to getting it.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Afghanistan Rocks?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:04:57 pm »
You might ask leapingbare. He's a knapper and just got back from there. Seems like i remember him saying he didn't see any while there though. Show pictures when ya get it.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 10:20:17 am »
Well I got the rocks in the mail on Friday afternoon, havent had the chance to do anything with them yet but I will get pics up when I do whether it comes out good or bad.  Hoping it has some decent workability.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 12:13:32 am »
 There was an article a few years ago in this Magazine, I think, about a Sargeant in Afganistan or Iraq knapping. He said the rock was tough as all get out, but he made some nice points. It looked like a crappy chert to me, kinda like Ft. Payne, that might benefit from heat treating.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:32:13 am »
i recently got some candy rock from israel from a friend. stuff is like butter, so there is rock over there
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2011, 11:48:14 am »
Well, I beat on the rock some last night.  It knapps about as well as a cow turd, it was really gritty kind of like a sandstone.  I would've taken pictures but the camera was dead and cant find the charger to it.

Lt. General James Gavin