Author Topic: Incredible Gifted Collection  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Keenan

Incredible Gifted Collection
« on: August 24, 2011, 05:29:04 pm »
Yesterday I got a call from a friend that almost made me drop the phone.  He said his neighbor was moving and as he was helping he noticed some long bows in the rafters. ;D ;D Knowing that I make them and and very interested in the history of archery he mentioned me and the gentleman told Charlie that he wanted the collection to go to someone who would appreciate it. He put me in touch with Gary Holt who was the shop forman of Bill Sweetland's archery shop.
  When I pulled up my jaw must have been hanging wide open. As I was looking at several bundles of Compressed POC shafts  and dozens of complete Sweetland arrows.  From there my eyes focused to boxes of points, various tips, antique fletcher's, boxes of cut fletches, and boxes of differing vintage hunting points.  He then started by pulling down a 1940 signed yew longbow, made by Gilman Keasy who tutored Don Adams.
 Gilman Keasy was 1935 & 1936 NAA target champion.   This in one of the bows that he made for the University of Oregon Archery team. This bow is still in incredible condition complete with original endless loop string and timber hitch.
 He then pulled down three more bows, a Wing Archery recurve, a Martin Huntsman in mint condition, and a Ben Pearson take down in mint condition with original case.
I told him he had a very impressive collection that was worth allot and asked him what he wanted to do with it. I told him that some of it deserved to be in a museum and asked what part of it he was parting with? His reply made my knees go week. He said very calmly I'm parting with all of it. I trembled as I asked what he wanted for the collection. He said, I've wanted it to go to the right person and I think you are that person. 
  I am still sifting through the boxes of history and Gary has said he is willing to sit down and help me document some of the history from his years of working at the Sweetland archery facility/ He had mentioned having opportunities to hunt with some of the great like Damon Howatt and a few others. I think there is some good article material here. I'll get some pictures when I can get the time to sort through everything
 I think that PA had done an article on Keasy in one of the very first issues. Going to have to do some more research.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 05:32:21 pm by Keenan »

Offline Lee Slikkers

Re: Incredible Gifted Collection
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 05:39:02 pm »
Lucky Dawg, Lucky Dawg....congrats bud, couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.  looking forward to the future article in Pa  8)
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline Stoker

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 06:12:41 pm »
Too cool.I'm sure it will get a good home.Can't imagine going through that kind of heritage.
I'm drooling on my keyboard
Thanks Leroy
Bacon is food DUCT tape - Cipriano

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 06:48:29 pm »
post up some pics and congratz

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2011, 06:55:46 pm »
Lee, I already wore out the "lucky dog" when he called me on the phone. Dang, Keenan, you,,,lucky dawg! ;) I want lots of pictures, broadheads, and especially that Wing ;D.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Keenan

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2011, 06:56:34 pm »
Here are some preview pics;

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2011, 06:58:55 pm »
some more;

Offline Keenan

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:14 pm »
More to come

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2011, 07:14:53 pm »
 Keenan, I've never seen a socketed Pearson like that. Is it transluscent green glass or cloth glass?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Keenan

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2011, 07:28:41 pm »
Eddie it looks like a glass with paint. There is one spot on the limb where it looks like he sanded lightly showing the glass. I'll get some more pics for you.
Here are a few more of the points

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 08:34:42 pm »
 Those small game points are pretty cool looking. I wish someone made some like that now. Those 3 bladed points look like Bodkins, I've given away a bunch of them.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline Keenan

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 08:47:00 pm »
Yep Eddie the majority of the # blades are bodkins, there are some other types as well and a few that I've never seen. Ther are some complete arrows in the bottom of the box that have various two blade points as well. Got to shut down for a while, Allot of thunder boomers right now.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:58:31 pm »
WOW, couldn't have given it to a better guy though, not even if he had given it to me.  :-*
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline stickbender

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 10:22:29 pm »
     Wow!  Holly molley!!! :o :o  And here I thought I needed to hang around with Eddie more often! :P
I hope you bought that Friend a bottle of his choice, and a nice steak dinner!  Sheesh, what were the odds of that happening? 8)  Well what goes around comes around, and it has landed in your lap!  Well I guess you will be busy petting each bow, and going through each can, over and over again.  Whew!  Congratulations!  So does your face hurt, or have you stopped grinning already? ;D ;D ;D  Just be thankful that you have the Wife you have, and not one that would crinkle her nose, and put her hands on her hips, and declare that that junk is no coming in the house! >:(

Wayne

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 11:26:31 pm »
I am so glad this happened to you, Keenan.  You have given so much to this online community and to the community at large that this is just karma coming back to you! 

A Keasy longbow?  Don Adam's mentor?  Oh wow, I'm stunned.  I wouldn't accept that bow if you hand delivered it to my house.  In this dry climate I'd foolishly string it and try shooting it....with disastrous results, but I still couldn't help myself!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.