Author Topic: Favorite Book  (Read 6992 times)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Favorite Book
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
On a non fiction note how about "On The Shoulders of Giants" by Stephen Hawking?
Been working on this one for a while. Some of it comes easy, some of it does not.   :)

Also into the second volume of TBB and liking that quite a bit.

For Fiction/ Fantasy, I'm waiting on the final installment of the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan.
Pretty good set of books over all. Probably 10 to 20 thousand pages to be had with this series.
The series is being finished by Brandon Sanderson, using Jordan's notes and outlines.
Jordan having passed a couple of years ago.

"The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever" are also a pretty good fantasy crawl
by Stephen R. Donaldson.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline johnston

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2011, 01:49:30 am »
Have any of you met...

Jack Reacher..or

Virgil Flowers...or Doc Ford or

The Scarlet Shadow ...or maybe Terl or

my favorite Bob "the nailer " Swagger ?   Just wondering. Try anything by Peter Hathaway Capstick they are all good. Out of the thousands of books I have read (old, damnit, real old) my two favorites are:
Bob, son of Battle by Alfred Ollivant published by Grosset and Dunlap circa 1898.

Hunters Horn_ Harriette Arnow-Library of Congress #78-67251 ISBN:0-380-42283-2  Published 1949.

Lane

Offline deerhunter97370

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 03:22:58 pm »
The Raven King  Trilogy By Stephen Lawhead.

Downs the Fire, Protector's War, and Meeting at Corvallis by S.M. Sterling

I haven't read it yet and it doesn't come out till sometime in February but The Forest Laird by John Whyte.

Always be ready to: Preach, Pray, or Die. John Wesley

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:59:54 pm »
Downs the Fire, Protector's War, and Meeting at Corvallis by S.M. Sterling

I've read The Lord Protector's War by S.M. Sterling.  Rolicking romp through post-Apocalyptic times complete with English men-at-arms, Oregon hippies shooting yew longbows (fairly well described, makes me think the author did some actual research), and decent descriptions of how cultures work.  I did choke a bit at the neo-Paganism stuff, though.

P.C. Wren's classic Beau Geste is hard to beat for a mystery, stiff upper lip English glory and honor, and a look into turn of the 20th century English History
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:24 pm »
I just finished         The Mad Trapper Of Rat River        I thought it was a great book and a true story.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 06:42:25 pm »
'The Old Man and the Sea' by Hemingway and 'Moby Dick'.  Ron

For sure Ron.  Short stories, To Build a Fire, The Sea Wolf, All Quiet on the Western Front, The Things they Carried.....  Motorcycle Diaries
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline criveraville

« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »
Just, To Build a Fire is a short story.  The rest are novels.. and then there is Heart of Darkness and Metamorphosis   
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline neuse

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 10:58:35 am »
This is a good thread/
I like reading and there are lots of new ideas here for me.

Offline bobnewboy

• https://www.flickr.com/photos/bob_d14/
    • The Company of Sixty Field Archers
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 12:17:42 pm »
I have just read "From Billets to Bows" by Glenn St Charles, and am now reading "The Art of Making Selfbows" by Stim Wilcox. 

The former turned out to be more of a general historical American archery book - enjoyable and interesting, speaking/typing as an Englishman - but not really what I was expecting. 

Stim Wilcox's book is far more of a technical nature, and much more what I was hoping for - very interesting!  It can be a little heavy going occasionally, and there is some weak humour which can distract at times, but he does discuss all aspects of the making of self bows from wood cutting to the finished item in great detail.  Again, from my view as an Englishman, Wilcox does narrow his range down to mainly discussing Osage flatbows (finding Osage is like finding hen's teeth in the UK!), but his experience and attention to detail shine through, and can be applied to all bows in my opinion. Expensive but worth it.
"The Englishman takes great pride in his liberty. He values this gift more than all the joys of life, and would sacrifice everything to retain it. The populace would have you understand there is no country in the world where such perfect freedom can be enjoyed, as in England!" Frenchman, London 1719

Offline criveraville

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 12:38:05 pm »
Then there is, Sounder, In Cold Blood, Crime and Punishment, All the pretty horses.

Offline _Jon_

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 10:21:27 pm »
My favoriteis  S.M. Stirling's trilogy "Dies the Fire", published by ROC:

1.  Dies the Fire - published August 2004
   2.  The Protector's War - published September 2005
   3.  A Meeting at Corvallis - published September 2006
   4.  The Sunrise Lands - published September 2007
   5.  The Scourge of God - published September 2008
   6.  The Sword of the Lady - published 25 August 2009
   7.  The High King of Montival - published September 2010
   8.  The Tears of the Sun - to be published September 2011 [9 sample chapters]
   9.  Lord of Mountains - to be published 2012(?)
   10. The Given Sacrifice - to be published 2013(?)

A trilogy set in the world that the island of Nantucket left behind when it became an "Island in the Sea of Time". This world is hit by "The Change" causing electricity, high gas pressures, and fast combustion (including explosives and gunpowder) to stop working.

In the series, modern-day Nantucket  is thrown back in time to the Bronze Age. Dies the Fire chronicles the struggle of two groups who try to survive "The Change," a sudden worldwide event that alters physical laws so that electricity, gunpowder, and most other forms of high-energy-density technology  no longer work. As a result, modern civilization comes crashing down.

This is very bad news for the majority of the population, but the books follow some of the survivors and show how different groups choose different ways to adapt to the changed world.

When gun's won't work time for the bow and arrow to become king.  Lots of knife's and swords thrown in.
Member of "Twin Oaks Bow Hunters,"  Chapmansboro, Tennessee

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #26 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:36 pm »
People of the Wolf series by Michael and Kathleen O'Neal-Gear - a somewhat archaeologically based series on the habitation of the Americas from the Bering straits.

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 03:27:54 pm »
My turn again... ;D

Anything by Jack London, short story or novel.

I love that guy's work.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline criveraville

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:37 pm »
fo sho.... Jack London is the man.. Bowtarist have you read the Sea Wolf and To Build a Fire???  Outstanding works...

An outstanding book that will give you a deeper understanding of Hispanic and Mexican/American customs, ideas and believes is, Bless Me Ultima

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #29 on: September 04, 2011, 02:39:35 am »
Sorry guys iv been without internet since the hurricane.  Thanks for all the suggestions!
Aim Small...Hit Small