Author Topic: Favorite Book  (Read 6991 times)

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
Favorite Book
« on: August 21, 2011, 04:44:01 pm »
I need to buy another book to read and wanted to get some ideas from you guys.  So what are some of your favorite books or any suggestions on what to get?  Anything along the lines of primitive, outdoorsy, hunting type stuff.

K.C.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Re: Favorite Book
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:57:34 pm »
You want fiction?  Sci fi?  Historical?  Future?  I love books.

One of my favorite series recently has been the Hunger Games.  There's some archery...very distopian...kind of a sappy here and there but, over all, a really great set of books.

The Riftwar Sage and then the Serpent War Saga by Raymond Feist are up there for me.

Ender's Game, and then all the books about Bean are great by Orson Scott Card.

I'm currently reading all of the Percy Jackson (Riordan) and all the Gregor books (Suzanne Collins)...they're teeny/kid books but they're enjoyable and light to read.

I'm about to start the Book of God...it's the Bible in novel format.  If I can find the Holy Qur'an in audiobook format I'll do that one, too (I just want to hear what's in it), and maybe that extra book the Mormons threw in there for kicks.

I could write book titles for days.  What are you into reading?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 06:28:04 pm »
I like a pretty broad range of books.  I like non-fiction and fiction.  I guess i am mainly looking for books on hunting,primitive skills, or any type of outdoors adventure books right now.  I am pretty sure i read Ender's Game a long time ago.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 08:24:34 pm »
St Paul, TX

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 08:28:17 pm »
I agree Bernard Cornwall's books are very good. I just finished his Agincourt novel and it was very entertaining....

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2011, 12:16:07 am »
Thanks guys.  I just bought The Archers Tale and gonna start reading it tonight.  Anyone can still chime in with their suggestions.  I read alot and want to expand my library lol.
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 02:46:16 am »
Hi all,  I spend way too much time reading!  It really cuts into my archery.  Two of my favorite novels are 'The Old Man and the Sea' by Hemingway and 'Moby Dick'.  No archery in either, but they both have something to say aboutthe chase and man's relation to the world.   If you didn't read 'The White Company', by Sir A. Doyle, as a kid you might look that one up too.
Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 11:12:40 am »
Again not archery related. When I was 16 my dad gave me a copy of "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand. Being a poor reader at the time coupled with it's 1100 pages, I put my copy of the book aside for years. When I was in the Army stationed  in Germany in the 60s, married, with my wife in the states and not interested in  the normal things GIs do for entertainment, I picked it up and started reading to pass the time. I was quickly absorbed into the struggles of the main character and couldn't put the book down. If any book shaped who I am today, I have to say it was that book with it's message of self reliance, honor and hard work to attain ones goals in life.

The book seems to be an ironic premonition that foretold what is going on in our country today.

Offline Dane

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 06:36:13 pm »
My top favorites (currently, of course) in no particular order:

1. The Iron Dragon's Daughter, by Michael Swanwik: Steampunk and magic gone amoke. Really dark, but so well written, about a human slave who labors in a steam dragon factory.
2. The Springboard in the Pond: An Intimate History of the Swimming Pool, Thomas A. P. van Leeuwen, MIT Press.
3. Roman Woodworking, Roger B. Ulrich, Yale University Press
4. The Ashley Book of Knots, Doubleday.
5. The Aesthetics of the Japanese Lunchbox, Kenji Ukuan, MIT Press
6. Case Study Houses: The Complete Program, 1945 - 1966, Taschen. The hardcover will cost you around $150, but worth it.
7. The Workbench Book: A Craftsman's Guide to Workbenches, Scott Landis, Taunton
8. Shelter, Shelter Publications. Very counterculture-y and facinating. 
9. JRR Tolkien - all (except perhaps the Hobbit)
10. Gormenghast trilogy, Mervyn Peake. Can't speak highly enough about this writer and his works. Dark, very sophisticated gothic stuff. One of a kind brilliant mind, totally original and perhaps not for every taste, cut far too short.

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2011, 03:07:02 pm »
Thanks for all the ideas!
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2011, 04:22:37 pm »
How about Shogun by James Clavell?

Was forced to read this book at age 13 as part of my punishment for skipping school for two weeks.
Had a senior girlfriend that was writing my sick notes. :)
After forcing my way through the first two hundred pages I was gut hooked.
This book got me to learn to speak Japanese and add a hand made (truck leaf spring) katana to my creek hoppin possibles bag.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 04:56:06 pm »
Ishi and Elvis, by Jim Hamm......Bows, Swamps, Whitetails. by Tim L. Lewis...this is about traditional bowhunting whitetails in Florida.
Also check out The University of South Carolina Press  http://www.sc.edu/uscpress  lots of good books there.  Click on complete catalog and look under hunting and fishing.  A Southern Sportsman, (The Hunting Memoirs of Henry Edwards Davis) is a good one as is Ramblings of a Lowcountry Game Warden.  Tales of Whitetails also.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline hatcha

« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2011, 05:31:51 pm »
Jean M. Auel's "Earth's Children" books, beginning with 'Clan of the Cave Bear'.  She's got a new one out this year that I'll have to buy for my wife.  Contains no speech as we know it today as it's based more than 25,000 years ago but my wife has recently (today) re-recommended them to me as they contain a lot of hunting, skinning, primitive living etc.

Got to buy the series again cos my wife's books were loaned to someone years ago and as happens in life, we've parted ways with that person...

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 01:43:23 am »
I just read the first three books in the Underland Chronicles (Suzanne Collins).  They're meant for early teens but they've been pretty entertaining.  I've enjoyed them.  They're light, very easy to understand, and the story is pretty good...if not short and to the point.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2011, 01:41:59 pm »
13 Moons is a gooder by the same author of Cold Mountain.

Hunting With The Bow and Arrow by Saxton Pope.

Anything Robin Hood.

Bows Along the Little Delta by Glenn St.John

Possom Living

I like to go to the library and go to the kids section in the high 900s, maybe 993, and look for folk tales from around the world.

13 moons is Awesome, though, if you haven't heard of it.  I listend to it on CD from the library, though.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)