Author Topic: Duckcloth for backing?  (Read 1382 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Duckcloth for backing?
« on: August 21, 2011, 08:05:32 pm »
Anyone ever use it?

I'm making a laminate hickory recurve and the grain on the back I just don't trust too much...it's got a few violations and it's going to be particularly bendy bow.  I don't have anything handy I can use other than some duckcloth...it's cotton, heavy fabric...kind of like canvas but with a tighter grain.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Duckcloth for backing?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 08:36:50 pm »
Any cloth will work but heavy cloth and the glue will take a lot of the zip out of your bow just because of the physical weight.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 08:40:32 pm »
Any cloth will work but heavy cloth and the glue will take a lot of the zip out of your bow just because of the physical weight.

I'm not working for optimum performance...this is my first attempt at a recurve.  If I get function I'll be pleased lol

If it works okay then I want to do another with either a nice and clean chunk of hickory or bamboo on the back.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:00:56 pm »
I dont think that heavy duck will work any better than a lighter material, i'd use some silk or even an old sheet, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹