Author Topic: question to Floridians  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

question to Floridians
« on: August 20, 2011, 05:39:37 am »
Hello,

Has anyone tried making wood out of the Palmeto woods?  I'm thinking i could get some risers and tip overlays out of some of that.  What about palm tree logs and such.  When that is cut down I think it makes decent exotic lumber.  Might even make a good bow.  Also Python skins seem expensive but in some areas they are just running around out there.  As invasives I'd think hunting them would be encouraged.  Tegu and Monitor skins also?

I'd like to get my hands on a few pieces of Palmeto if it's decent wood.

thanks
PB

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: question to Floridians
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 01:17:05 pm »
Palmetto probably isn't a very good bow wood(material). We made bows from palm fronds when I was a kid but not strong enough for my purposes today. Other woods like Australian Pine(invasive exotic) would be a better choice.
  If you can get enough python skins you could trade for good bow wood!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 04:56:55 pm »
I'm not looking to make the working parts of the bow from Palmetto.  Just accents in the riser and tip overlays.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
The palmetto I'm familiar with has thick longitudinal fibers and I don't remember it getting hard enough or strong enough for those applications. Bamboo is has similar make up but is more dense.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 01:16:04 am »
well it was a thought.  Thanks guys.  I found a video where a guy in the Mideast made a short bow from palm wood.

Offline Chris grimbowyer

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 04:32:53 am »
Can I get a link to that video? I used to live in Santa Rosa Beach Florida, I thought the live oaks would make a good bow since they are .82 SG like osage, but I never got a chance to try.

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 06:19:17 pm »
 Palmetto and cabbage palm is too fibrous and soft when dry. I was told that maybe coconut palm would work but I've never tried, they grow way south of me. I have seen a nice looking knife with a cabbage palm handle. it was soaked in super glue and was really light and cool looking. You might be able to do the same for tip over lays or small slabs.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?