Author Topic: Bowyers in the future.....  (Read 2113 times)

Offline Frodo

Bowyers in the future.....
« on: August 16, 2011, 10:07:42 pm »
After seeing how easy it is to go buy a compound bow and the easy of shooting it I am starting to question how to get individuals in my age group (18 - 25) into traditional shooting. I always notice when I decide to start shooting again the amount of peer pessure I received to buy a compound, which I did but I am now on my back into traditional. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
Re: Bowyers in the future.....
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 10:56:31 pm »
Well Frodo, sometimes that peer pressure never goes away. I'm 38 and just today the best friend I have got himself a crossbow, complete with scope and all that other fancy sh!!!t. He seems to have made it his mission this season to get me to shoot a deer with it. He shoots both traditional and training wheels. the wheels just make it to convenient for some people, they just cant stand to see a deer out of trad range and not think, if only I had a compound. I have been pondering that question you asked for years. How to get peers more interested in traditional. A lot of people I talk to seem to need prove that it is as effective as the wheels. Show them some proof, and then they can't disagree when you ask them if they want some venison jerky. ;)

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 09:18:16 am »
As you know Frodo I have been at it a long time and it never changes, I have accepted the fact that this ant for everyone.I do what I like and let them do the same,no problem unless or until they start telling me I am wrong or I need to change to some real hunting equipment,then I get mad.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 11:15:10 am »
It is human nature to take the easy way out, just a few of us like the challenge of taking the more difficult but rewarding path into traditional archery.

Bottom line, you either have it or you don't, most people don't and you can't change them.

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 06:36:23 pm »
If it were me I would ask how much money they've spent on their high tech archery gear, then casually say something like "Yeah, my bow was  EXPENSIVE, $6 for wood (assuming since practically all my bows are RO board bows lol), about $1 for the string, $1.75 for each arrow and maybe $6 worth of leather for the arm guard, bow handle, and quiver combined. Sure it's fun making these bows but at $10 a pop I can probably only afford to make 20 or 30 each month!"
;D

I agree with Pappy 100% "Different strokes for different folks."

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 11:31:56 pm »
"In fashion it is best to go with the flow.  With regards to conscience it is best to turn upstream."

Can't remember who said that and I am sure I misquoted it.  The more I think about fair chase and hunting ethics the more I am glad I chose to not shoot a bicycle bow.  It's my choice.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2011, 01:42:26 am »
I simply explain that I've been there done that and it's just to easy with all the modern gear. That I'm chasing the dream of taking a bull with a bow I made, point Ive made and arrow that Ive made and that when that happens nothing else will compare.  That usually shuts them up!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2011, 04:19:21 pm »
I think it's a progression.  I started compound then got tired of it.  I have read similar from other archers.  In the end "some will, some won't . . . so what".  Can't control people.  Just shoot and have fun the way you want to.  For those it makes sense for they will pick it up.  You can only expose people to the possibility.