Author Topic: Osage/Hick/Save/TIPS  (Read 1589 times)

PeteDavis

Osage/Hick/Save/TIPS
« on: August 17, 2011, 11:00:32 pm »

Thanks for the comments y'all.
I took the bow and carefully retillered to get rid of the potential hinge in the lower limb. Then took a tad more wood off each limb to get it working into the handle a bit better. The bow then tillered out at about 46# @ my draw.
I then piked 3/4" off of each tip and re-nocked while slimming the tips to 7/16". Still tillered OK, and now pulls 53# @ 26.5 which is what I was after.
So now the bow is 66.5" tip to tip unstrung, and strung at my brace is 62.5"n>n.
Some times it is best to step back before giving up. This bow shoots great and is shorter than anything I would have tried.

Tiller of new length after sanding:

Regards-PD
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 04:40:18 pm by PeteDavis »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Osage/Hick/Save
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:56 am »
Much better! It looks slimmer and more streamline now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline JonW

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 04:15:34 pm »
Nice work Pete. I can remember a time that I thought 66" was short. Now I can't imagine making anything over 60". Come on over to the Dark SidePete.  >:D  Congrats on sticking with it.

Jon W.

blackhawk

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:14:50 pm »
Yes....much better indeed  ;) sometimes its worth it to make those tweaking corrections. Now slap some of those stones of yours on your arrows and stick some meat with her

Offline Eric Garza

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 07:28:21 pm »
Wow, you think 66 inches is short? I haven't made a bow over 50 inches in a couple years.

Nonetheless, that's a nice tillering job. I'm sure the bow tosses arrows with grace and authority.

PeteDavis

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:24:45 pm »

Tips made from whitetail antler wedges

Now to stain the back and craft a handle....