Author Topic: Oak build with some propeller twist (pix added)  (Read 1851 times)

Offline frankg

Oak build with some propeller twist (pix added)
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:16 pm »
I found a 2-1/4"x8"x 8' oak board stashed in my barn . Grain was running vertical through the 2-1/4" edge and ended up perfect after slicing a piece off 1-1/4" thick. I ran it through planer to clean up fuzz and to give me a clean slate to lay out . It ended up 1-7/8" wide above handle for 8" then tapers to 5/8" at tip. At fades is 5/8" tapering to 1/2" thick at tip. T/T is 74" and I'm trying for 50-55 # @ 30-31" . I've just about got it worked down to where Im ready for short string and have developed some propeller twist of about 22.5 deg. I tried scraping a little more on strong side of lib twist and that hasnt seemed to help. Any suggestions on straightening it up ? It hasnt affected string from tracking center of handle ?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2011, 06:49:00 pm by frankg »
South of Klamath Falls OR , North of Calif border .

Offline Hrothgar

Re: Oak build with some propeller twist help needed please
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 09:31:26 am »
Frank, without a pic it is a little hard to say. Generally, you should be removing wood fairly close to the handle--around 6 inches--from the side opposite the way it is twisting. Sometimes, especially with a cured board, there isn't a lot that can be done with a twist. Guess you could try steaming it then gradually try to untwist or bend it.
Good luck.
" To be, or not to be"...decisions, decisions, decisions.

Offline frankg

« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 11:01:56 pm »
I worked some of it out, not too bad now. I went ahead with it and got my 50#(50#scales) at 29" and it draws to 30" easy enough . Has about 1-1/4" of string follow . Stained and linseed oil on it now settin in sun soaking .  ;D

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2011, 09:11:02 am »
Excellent. Glad it worked out. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline johnston

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2011, 12:52:35 pm »
Pictures?

Lane

Offline frankg

Re: Oak build with some propeller twist (pix added)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2011, 06:46:09 pm »
Heres some pics , braced at 5" and one drawn to 24". Cant complain , it was free wood from 20some years ago . I slabbed off another hunk and gave to a buddy and think I can get at least 2 more from the plank ! Now to add a buckskin handle wrap and arrow rest .