Author Topic: Best Adhesive For Antler to Wood  (Read 7410 times)

PeteDavis

Best Adhesive For Antler to Wood
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:36:41 pm »

I have glued on osage and phenolic tips with crazy glue gel-I usually scratch both mating surfaces, hit with lacquer thinner, let dry then glue and press. Is there anything incompatible between antler and hickory?

Also, my antler blanks weight 22 gns each (hows that for luck) before grinding down. I suspect that will be more like 10 when I am done (3/8 tips). Will that slow me down? I just want to protect the top of the string really. 53# bow at 66.5".

PD
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 05:40:17 pm by PeteDavis »

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: Best Adhesive For Antler to Wood
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 06:13:56 pm »
I fill the antler pores with CA glue, sand flat and smooth. Then I use the same glue to glue the bone to the bow. I dont think you will notice any slow down with antler, make them as small as you can.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:34:23 pm »
Pete, I use 5 minute epoxy. Score both surfaces good.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 08:32:53 pm »
I've used gel super glue, thin super glue, TBIII and 2ton epoxy, all with good success.
  If you are using antler do like Pearlie suggests and saturate the pithy parts of the antler with super glue first to get a good bond.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC