Author Topic: First thick heat bend . . . working up the nerve.  (Read 1423 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

First thick heat bend . . . working up the nerve.
« on: August 18, 2011, 12:45:45 pm »
OK so I saw this documentary on the ELB put out by the History channel where the host conjectures with a historian that many ELB's were actually recurved at the tips and commissions just such a bow.  I'm trying to build a similar bow.

On the show they boil the wood.  I have no giant pot to boil water in.  I have heat gun.  I know some guys use the dry heat and oil the wood to prevent burning.  I saw an article here where a static recurve was made by pre tapering the wood then gluing bent laminations to the belly to bring it back up in thickness.  I've also seen the full thickness get heat bent. 

I want to add a bamboo backing to the "Lyptus" wood I'm working with.  I'm afraid that If I use the oil route I'll make glue up a pain.  I've also seen videos of guys that made a steam oven.  I'm considering this but I haven't figured out how to switch from heat gun to steam captured in the oven.  I have seen these ovens made in foam or in plastic pipe.

My bends are not 90* deep bends.  <90* over a 9"-10" long radius.  I also have some twist and warp when I sawed the piece of wood from the board which needs to be fixed.

So I guess I'm looking for input that will create the best probability for overall sauces with a heat gun.  I'll need to make the bend.  Then add the backing and belly pieces if I pre-thin the ends further. 

I'm doubting that it will be as easy as head wood with a heat gun, back out side radius with something to prevent lifting a fiber, bend gently around form, clamp and let cool over night.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: First thick heat bend . . . working up the nerve.
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 01:13:58 pm »
Slide this over to the bow building forum and you will get more replies. Boiling or steam will work. Steam is my favorite and its a cheap set up. Three section of 6" furnace pipe riveted together and a pot of boiling water will steam an entire bow. Cost is about $40.00.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: First thick heat bend . . . working up the nerve.
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 01:16:23 pm »
a canning pot and aluminum foil work great too!  Just set it up on your grill. You can usually get canning pots pretty cheap at yard sales and flea markets. :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln