Author Topic: Sapling bows and homemade pith removal tool...  (Read 1921 times)

Offline Primitive1

Sapling bows and homemade pith removal tool...
« on: August 18, 2011, 10:56:59 am »
With three sapling bows staring me down, I had to make a decision about the soft, pithy center...keep or remove?  If removing, how/what could I use?  I finally decided to remove it since I couldn't argue keeping it and trying to seal it properly (I always use a paraffin/wax finish) to keep moisture out; it also doesn't add anything to the wood's integrity/strength and if anything, it's sole existence seems to limit options and is typically avoided like the plague...problem is, you can't just cut around it since the pith has a tendency to 'wander' about in the center of the sapling...so the next issue was...okay, what the heck can I use to do it?  I thought of some sort of acid, fire, drill etc...but nothing sounded right...then it just came to me...mechanics wire!  It's cheap, flexible and when you cut it, it has a natural sharp edge!  Length isn't an issue...just cut a piece as long as you want, attach it to a drill and start boring the hole out!  If the pith is larger, I just double the wire by bending it over and twist it up...you then have the added bonus of when you're done reaming, you pinch the 'loop' created by bending the wire over and slip some fine sandpaper/steel wool/ cloth etc...and final clean and polish (rag with Bee's Wax/Orange Oil to seal after done).  What also occurred to me was using my rifle cleaning kit...the brass cleaner fittings for about any size you would ever need...it isn't as utalitarian as the wire but I have still put it to use...anyway, for those who pursue this, that's what I've come up with and here's some pics...cheers - P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO