Author Topic: Need Tiller help on Osage bow.....  (Read 4253 times)

Offline snag

Re: Need Tiller help on Osage bow.....
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2011, 12:25:42 pm »
I did a little light scraping and sanded the belly and edges. Got it to 58#@27". Now I'll shoot it in and see where it ends up. The top limb has about 1" of string follow. Guess that happens...?  Thanks to all that tried to keep me on the straight and narrow. Got a lot to learn! Sure is fun to learn here at the Selfbow School of Learning though! haha
« Last Edit: August 18, 2011, 01:15:46 pm by snag »
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2011, 01:07:22 pm »
Awesome looking bow.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

mikekeswick

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2011, 03:07:11 pm »
The extra set in one limb is because it was pulled too far before the limbs were even.
A good idea is at every increase in draw length that you take put the bow on a flat surface and really really eyeball it to see if it's taken any set (even a fraction) anywhere. If it has and it isn't evenly distributed along the limb then that area is weak and shouldn't be touched until you take off wood everywhere else.

Offline snag

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2011, 03:08:57 pm »
Thanks Mike. Haven't heard that one before. David

Offline snag

« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2011, 12:12:21 pm »
Shot it a little last night. Other than needing to eventually make some lighter spined arrows for it they came off the bow quiet and fairly quick. Still needs a little more sanding.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2011, 12:22:30 pm »
Looking really sweet.
If you alread have arrows, you might consider adusting the arrow pass to match the arrows. E.G, make it closer to centre shot, just a few extra mm off the pass will make quite a difference.
I have two lots of arrows 70 grain points about 30 spine and 100 grain points about 40 spine. On the Osage I just made the 100gn felt best but shot a few inches left at 10yards, about 3mm off the arrow pass made 'em group about the same as the lighter softer arrows.
Dunno if that is of any use to you.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snag

« Reply #21 on: August 19, 2011, 01:18:49 pm »
Del, that's interesting. These 70#-75#'s are hitting about 4"-5" stiff or left of the mark. Should I just file off a little wood at the top of the handle, the narrowest point?

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #22 on: August 19, 2011, 02:25:35 pm »
Del, that's interesting. These 70#-75#'s are hitting about 4"-5" stiff or left of the mark. Should I just file off a little wood at the top of the handle, the narrowest point?
Yup, that's the way to do it... terms and conditions apply, if the baw falls in half. it's now't to do with me ;).
Don't go mad, the other trick is ro rub a pencil along the arrow where it will rub on the bow, you can then check exactly where it's making contact. Mine was actually rubbing close to the belly at first so as well as removing a bit I also radiused it with a tad more off the near the belly so it now rubs plumb centre.
On my blog I mentioned 'tweaking' the bow after I'd shot it for a morning and a few people ticked the 'explain more box' so I did a blog entry explaining all my tweaks, here's the link.
http://bowyersdiary.blogspot.com/2011/08/tweaking-bow-set-up.html
Have a go and tell us what you find.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline snag

« Reply #23 on: August 19, 2011, 02:52:36 pm »
Thanks Del, I'll check out the "tweaking" area of your site.

blackhawk

« Reply #24 on: August 19, 2011, 05:47:40 pm »
No comments from me.... other than your tiller turned out spot on in the hand ;)