Author Topic: Hide glue ??  (Read 1530 times)

Offline swtchbckshtr

Hide glue ??
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:06:18 pm »
yeah Im new to this site, dont post to often just read and admire yalls work, Ive seen a few vids and read alot about making hide glue so I give it a shot. BUT I used a dog chew bone, I soaked it in water to soften it up, then I cut it up into pieces, I added some small pieces of deer leg sinew while it was boiling and I let it go for 6 to 7 hrs. when it was done it looked just like vanilla pudding. it wasnt dark like the usual hide glue. I let it dry out and it hardened up like a rock. now do you all think this will be ok to use for backing a bow with sinew? Im kinda iffy about usung it and dont wanna mess up the bow with this hide glue. but it did harden right up. let me know what yall think or if anyone has done this same thing. thanks in advance, Oh im working on a osage bow and wanna back it with sinew. the reason I used a dog chew bone was because I dont have any rawhide. anyone know where I can purchase some rawhide??

Offline aaron

Re: Hide glue ??
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 11:55:38 pm »
did you know that unflavored knox gelatine is hide glue? I applaud your desire to make your own, but as you say- you wouldn't want to ruin a nice bow because of your first batch of hide glue..
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:12:48 am »
Do a test run on a seperate piece of wood. Thin the wood out so it bends nicely then add the sinew and glue. Once that cures, give it a good workout by bending and releasing over and over again.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

mikekeswick

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 06:20:51 am »
A good simple test is to heat it up, once liquid allow it to cool. If it forms a nice firm gel it will be upto the job. Hide glues are very strong and sinew on a wooden bow isn't strained that much anyway. Dog chews can make excellent glue.
Next time you make some DO NOT boil it. Collogen is damaged above 65 degs max. Try putting some sinew into water over this temperature and you'll see what I mean. I use candles as the heat source under a big pan with the lid on. As long as there is plenty of steam when you take the lid off it's hot enough or get a thermometer and test the temperature to make sure. The very best glues will be almost clear and transparent. The darker the glue the lower the strength (depends on materials used).
It this is your first sinew backed bow make sure the glue you use isn't too thick or else the bow will make creaking/cracking noises when drawn... :o 
Good luck.

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 08:58:09 am »
yeah first time trying this hide glue deal, it did form into a nice gel and took about 3 days to dry, I noticed when I had it sitting outside in the heat it wouldnt setup or dry out, I had to put in fridge to set it back up then place it in a room and it slowly hardened up. not sure about this hide glue, it almost looks like it would crack once the bow is drawn, Im gonna try it on a piece of wood and see what happens, and I have seen that you can use gelatine that might be a good idea. how about using TB3 or that new hide glue by TB. thanks for the response

mikekeswick

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 09:58:02 am »
yeah first time trying this hide glue deal, it did form into a nice gel and took about 3 days to dry, I noticed when I had it sitting outside in the heat it wouldnt setup or dry out, I had to put in fridge to set it back up then place it in a room and it slowly hardened up. not sure about this hide glue, it almost looks like it would crack once the bow is drawn, Im gonna try it on a piece of wood and see what happens, and I have seen that you can use gelatine that might be a good idea. how about using TB3 or that new hide glue by TB. thanks for the response

Seriously don't worry about it's strength. If it forms a gel it's more than good enough...I promise!
Your description of it drying etc is exactly what it should do. To dry it out for storage air flow not heat is the way to go. Somewhere shady with a nice breeze and it will dry fairly quickly.
Don't worry about it cracking once dry, it should do that.
Gelatine is pretty much the same as the stuff you've just made! TB3 will work but you've already got the real deal! ;)

Offline swtchbckshtr

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 05:41:26 pm »
thanks, Im gonna do a test run with it before I go spreading a layer down this stave. thanks again