Author Topic: Takes all kinds  (Read 3408 times)

Offline Timo

Takes all kinds
« on: August 17, 2011, 12:26:30 am »
I never claimed to be the greatest at pitcher taken, but after looking at this one, I gotta say I kinda liked it!

I 'll post more imfo on the points later.

Offline Timo

Re: Takes all kinds
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 01:06:40 am »
I have a creek that is close to me that has a certain kind of rock that is nowhere else. The farmers name is Snow so I call it "Snow creek chert". I got some the other day and the first piece had some very nice colors just under the cortex. Wasn't much but was enough to get this little bird point.

Offline Timo

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 01:08:52 am »
I stayed with the same rock and found a small Dalton. There was a small inclusion near the base that reminded me of a cartoon fish bone. Cool rock.

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 01:11:18 am »
Then I grabbed a piece of high grade Burlington that I cooked to the limits. This stuff is glass,and a nice pink color. We have a lot of this type of point in my area. Everyone calls them Dicksons.

Offline Timo

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2011, 01:14:53 am »
I was on a roll so I figured , what the heck! This is a piece of Jeff City chert. Worked real nice, even with all the iron deposits. I call this one an Agate basin.

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 01:16:54 am »
Great picture Tim! 
 That little inclusion really stands out. It does look like fish bones.
 I LOVE that Snow creek.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 09:31:46 am »
That's some very fine work Tim. Just beautiful. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2011, 09:41:07 am »
 Great pictures and points, Tim, that's some interesting rock. That Dickson point looks just like our Newnans.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2011, 10:11:56 am »
Nice, very nice. That snow creek it some good lookin stuff. Your blade outstanding! Well done.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2011, 10:26:29 am »
Those are really nice!
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2011, 11:26:53 am »
I thought that little inclusion was a fossil when I first looked at it.  I love that little bird point.  Really nice work and that picture ought to be on the wall.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2011, 11:43:28 am »
really nice points
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 11:53:41 am »
Nice work Timo.  I got four small ones made yeasterday and broke about 5 in the process.  >:(  I'm not too happy w/ them, but my kids think they are cool.  :) Good looking points, I hope to be able to make 'em half that good someday.
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2011, 12:28:18 pm »
That is some fine chippin there Tim! And some fine lookin materials too. Snow creek huh? I aughta be driving through there again some day. Where did you say it was? ;D.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2011, 01:02:34 pm »
Those are lovely.

Photo's can be a bit hard but natural light works well.  I like to lay things on a neutral background that allows high contrast.  Dark for light objects and light for dark objects.    Fabric is fine.  A strong sidelight helps.  For my bowls I made a station where I hang fabric down a vertical wall and over a Small table.  I slip a small book, block, or box under the fabric as a pedestal.  Then I use a clamp on work light to provide a strong light from one side.  I take several photos with that light in different positions till I get what I like then start rotating the bowl.

Something that might be cool for arrowheads would be a support that is under the fabric or covered in the fabric.  Maybee a little support bracket made out of clear plastic?  Swing by your local sign shop and ask them if they have any small pieces of acrylic in the scrap bin.  They may also have MDO scrap which is a high grade of plywood that makes great jigs and cauls ;).