Author Topic: Am I the only one that does this?  (Read 3130 times)

Offline Bryce H

Am I the only one that does this?
« on: August 16, 2011, 03:53:27 pm »
Rather than tie the shafts up in a bundle to allow for drying time, I've started being more selective with the shafts. I make sure they're almost perfectly straight from the outset. Then I remove the bark and do an initial straightening. In the morning and in the night, I spend a few moments bringing the shafts back to straight, allowing them essentially to 'dry straight'. I've not done it near long enough to know if they stay straighter, longer, this way. Anybody else try this and have better/worse luck?

Offline aznboi3644

Re: Am I the only one that does this?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 02:10:30 am »
I hand straighten them every day I'd two while drying

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 01:19:59 am »
I have always done it that way.I've always got a shaft or two laying around to pick up and straighten.When dry and straight,I put them over there and start on another. I have hundreds of the darn things laying around the house and shop.  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline stickbow bender

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 11:21:18 pm »
Out here in south central Montana shafts tend to dry out fast. It's the best way I've found to come up with good straight shafts. I admit to being lazy and just knocking off any fuzz and smoothing out little bumps only as needed,but I claim it was done in the way of experimental science as a way to justify it.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:33:49 am »
I do everything in the "name of experimental science". At least, that's what I tell everybody....  ;D

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 11:48:05 am »
Conversely Bryce, I didn't do it with the bundle I got this year which I taped into a nice straight bunch.  The silly things don't want to straighten and even if I get them straight it seems like in a week or so they're crooked again.  I'm gonna try to get them straight while green next year.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline FlintWalker

« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 01:48:14 pm »
What few I'v made have been done like that. One tip to use when bundling up future shafts is to put rubber bands around them. That way, as they dry and shrink they'll stay in a tight bundle unlike with tape.
Be thankfull for all you have, because no matter how bad you think it is...it can always be worse.

Offline Bryce H

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 12:33:10 pm »
Oh, I like the rubber band idea, I didn't think of that!

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 05:14:19 pm »
  I only cut them if they have no imprefections. I never wast time seeing if will make and arrow.  And arrows not like a stave where you can make a bow out of just about any peice of wood. If a shoot has so imperfection it won't make it as a arrow.
    I cut in the winter and prestraighten and bundle only because I have other things going on at this time of year. But i NEVER DO THE RUBBER BAND THING. The rubber bands won't stop them from bending back. I'll put half one way half the other just so I can get them alittle tighter. I use duck tape on the ends and middle. The tapes restricting and won't let the bend as they dry.
    The winters my down time from deer hunting and my  main bow building time. But I'm already getting ready for the next season. SCOUTTING. SETTING UP SITES, RUNNING CAMERAS to see what made it.
  Untill turkey season after it when I build arrows for the on coming season. But when I first started building shoot arrows. I was aways in a hurry and I straighten everyday untill dryed. Then when there dry and I'm done straighting and sanding I'll temper them. Can't see any difference now looking back. SO FOR ME IT'S JUST A TIMING THING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 05:15:03 pm »
  I only cut them if they have no imprefections. I never wast time seeing if will make and arrow.  And arrows not like a stave where you can make a bow out of just about any peice of wood. If a shoot has so imperfection it won't make it as a arrow.
    I cut in the winter and prestraighten and bundle only because I have other things going on at this time of year. But i NEVER DO THE RUBBER BAND THING. The rubber bands won't stop them from bending back. I'll put half one way half the other just so I can get them alittle tighter. I use duck tape on the ends and middle. The tapes restricting and won't let the bend as they dry.
    The winters my down time from deer hunting and my  main bow building time. But I'm already getting ready for the next season. SCOUTTING. SETTING UP SITES, RUNNING CAMERAS to see what made it.
  Untill turkey season after it when I build arrows for the on coming season. But when I first started building shoot arrows. I was aways in a hurry and I straighten everyday untill dryed. Then when there dry and I'm done straighting and sanding I'll temper them. Can't see any difference now looking back. SO FOR ME IT'S JUST A TIMING THING.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING