Author Topic: Bending an already backed bow...  (Read 1408 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Bending an already backed bow...
« on: August 17, 2011, 01:19:38 am »
I've got a red oak board backed in bamboo that's been sitting for a long time.  I want to pend it at the handle to give it a bit of reflex...not much, just enough to barely give it a gull wing look.  How I had done this before was to cut a 10" diamond from the middle and I spliced in a piece of brazillian cherry for a handle.  The red oak board would have held up to it fine but the bamboo I had was way too thick (3/16 at the crown in some places) and it broke.

I'm considering doing the splicing thing again...I like the look and it's an immediate solution to my work.  But, can I bend it?  I'm working with a loctite epoxy glue that works great and isn't susceptible to water/moisture.  Can I heat or steam the bend in and avoid cutting the stave up?
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Primitive1

Re: Bending an already backed bow...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2011, 10:43:25 am »
I've always used Urac so I'm not sure about the epoxy...I suppose it all depends...I did have an experience once where I had used a two part epoxy (not Urac) with bamboo and osage and then tried to heat bend it (I think with steam)...the bonding failed...as a matter of fact, I believe that was how I actually removed the rest of it (bamboo backing)...another thing to consider is if the bamboo/wood was Perry reflexed at all putting the joint under even more strain which in my opinion, would up the chances of bonding failure.  In my case, once the bamboo was removed I resurfaced and re-shaped and was happier with the result...felt better about the whole thing after all was said and done...though initially I was quite miffed.  Good luck, cheers - P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2011, 10:49:22 am »
Yeah I would dig it if the bonding would fail under head because I really wasn't happy with this project.  I did it in a rush and didn't use as good a board as I should have (not too big a deal with red oak and bamboo) and I would have prefered a perry reflex.

I might experiment with a small section and see if I can get the epoxy to let go.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »
The epoxy should release with the right amount of heat. You might try comtacting the manufacturer of the epoxie and ask them at what temp the epoxy will release. That's how I found out about TBIII releasing at 150deg(F).
  Once you find out start at one tip and heat it until you can get a screw driver or wood chisel into the joint and work it out to the center, heating as you go. Then start at the other end and do the same until it comes apart. That's how I did it with the TBIII glue up I undid!
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC