Author Topic: TT or NN  (Read 1699 times)

Offline wvarcher

TT or NN
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:48:37 am »
I've noticed some bows on here are measured from either nock-to-nock or they are measured from one tip to the other.  I have a friend who is only concerned with the NN length.  To him, wood past the nocks doesnt bend and is 'dead' wood.  Is one more important than the other?

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: TT or NN
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 08:23:09 am »
I agree N t N is what matters.  :) anything passed the string groves makes little difference. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt S.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 11:21:33 am »
I also agree that ntn is what matters, but I still usually refer to length in ttt, unless specifically stated as ntn. The reason is simply because I make board bows and it is easier for me to think about the length of the board I'm starting with. Most of my nocks are 1/2" from the tips so the ntn measurement is only about 1" off from ttt, not that big of a deal in my opinion.

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 11:38:03 am »
It all depends on what you're preference is I think. Most guys know that the nocks are probably only going to be 1/2" to 1" under the tip. But as your friends said after the nocks it's dead wood and doesn't bend. I usually list ntn when talking about a bow I've made, the only reason I would discuss tip to tip length is when trying to determine the overall length for purposes of maneuvering in a tree stand or ground blind.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline MWirwicki

• The wood speaks to you; Listen with your eyes. GSD
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 11:24:19 pm »
NTN to me matters most when I am calculating how much draw length I might get out of a shorter stave.  Is my stave to short for a stiff handle bow, or not?  The general rule of thumb, if I have a bow that will be 52" NTN I figure I can get a 26-inch draw with a bendy handle.
Matt Wirwicki
Owosso, MI

Offline wvarcher

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2011, 12:20:52 pm »
Thanks everybody. 

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2011, 12:25:21 pm »
I measure all my bows T/T because that is the actual length of the bow...even though beyond the nocks matters very little...except for dead weight.
  N/N measurement is an AMO standard measurement for purchasing a bow string. Since I make my own string and make the length adjustable with a bowyers knot on one end the AMO measurement doesn't matter to me.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC