Author Topic: My last seasoned staves - character?  (Read 1560 times)

Offline gstoneberg

My last seasoned staves - character?
« on: August 16, 2011, 01:23:44 am »
I went out to my stave rack to look for a seasoned stave and found a billet length log and a 7' quarter to split.  I got 5 billets and 2 long staves.  Both staves are very interesting.  One has a large limb in the center with wood going around it on both sides.  I'm afraid I'll lose one side when I get down far enough to get under borers. The other one has potential to be a real character bow.  What do you think?  I'm thinking if I can save both sides of that knot I might be able to shoot the arrow through the opening?

George

St Paul, TX

Offline Sidewinder

Re: My last seasoned staves - character?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 03:26:42 am »
George those look like they could be a challenge. The one on the left would be seriously snakey. The one with the knot would end up being a bilet end if it were me.
 On a side note... good heavens man, don't drop your wedge into one of those cavernous cracks in the ground. You might lose it forever. You guys really can use the rain.  Where is Elijah when you need him?  Danny
"You know a tree by the fruit it bears"   God

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 03:45:18 am »
Danny, I avoided the larger cracks for just that reason.  Those are peewees.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 04:50:18 am »
I would love to see you pull off a shoot through, that is if it is even possible  >:D good luck....p.s. you might want to try doing a rain dance  ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 10:08:35 am »
My wife reminded me that we took a picture of her pushing a yardstick into one of the cracks for Facebook.  Here's that picture:

The cracks are worse since that was taken.  There are some in the back yard now that you could break an ankle in.  The problem is the clay content in the dirt.  It is why there are no basements here.  Instead of freezing and thawing breaking things, down here it is the expansion and contraction of the clay that breaks foundations and roads.  It also makes the dirt roads in the lease nearly impassable.  Texas is a unique place.

George
St Paul, TX