Author Topic: AZ arrowweed  (Read 7571 times)

Offline RabidApache

AZ arrowweed
« on: August 08, 2011, 02:50:21 pm »
I just completed a couple arras for upcoming season. First off if you haven't worked arrowweed yet its excellent stuff. IMO about 3X more durable than Cedar but a bit heavier and stiffer in spine. When compared to a fully ready to shoot cane arrow 370gr while arrowweed is 617gr! Cane arrow is the one on the far right. All others are arrowweed.

I don't know if I've ever seen this done but I got bored and decided why not. A four-blade chert point for Turkey Thumpin or Bunnies.
Forever making arrows!

Offline maddog314

Re: AZ arrowweed
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 04:38:04 pm »
Looks good! I was out there and didn't get the chance to meet you. I hope to be there again next year and maybe we can shoot together. Good looking stuff. Micah

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 04:51:38 pm »
Cool man. Maybe nexttime we'll go out and break or lose few arrows the next go around.
By the way the lower obsidian point is hafted to Mahogney foreshaft, super dense stuff. Its then mated to a cane (actually phragmites) shaft with gorilla glue and nylon.
While participating in a local 3D event, we busted cedars throughout the two-day event with not one arrowweed sapling dinged. We would take 30-40yds shots, kneeling, sitting and even jumping off logs/rocks. Needless to say we had a BLAST!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2011, 05:01:00 pm by RabidApache »
Forever making arrows!

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 10:06:59 pm »
Cool arrows man. I use arrowweed aswell. I wasnt much of a fan before but now i have grown very fond of it. Its good stuff especially because its almost straight as an arrow from the start. Very cool work.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2011, 10:36:53 pm »
Yeah...arrowweed can be a lil finicky but I've found if you leave the bark on to straighten over heat it tends to straighten alot better than when removed after seasoning. I figure with bark left on it holds a lil moisture to ease straightening and prevents scorching. Once straightned I'll remove bark, sand to barrel taper finish. I like to barrel taper my arrows because IMO it keeps its straightness for longer period of time and excellent shooting. I also love the Cane and arrowweed foreshaft combo.
Forever making arrows!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2011, 11:15:17 pm »
I absolutely love the pre-Columbian Gobbler Guillotine!!!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline stickbender

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2011, 03:27:58 am »

Where does Arrow Weed grow, and what does it look like, and is there another name for it?  Is it a Viburnum plant?  Thanks.

Wayne

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2011, 01:27:12 pm »

Where does Arrow Weed grow, and what does it look like, and is there another name for it?  Is it a Viburnum plant?  Thanks.

Wayne

I think its just a southwest thing. Its a member of the Sunflower family. Check it on Google, just type in "arrowweed".
But anyway I find it grows in gravel or sandy soils thats high in salt. In Az I find that some plants tend to grow low to the ground especially in open surroundings. I find the best stuff near springs or in Canyons. I usually don't cut them in summer due to high temperatures in AZ. Its hot and dry out here and mainly to prevent splitting of shafts. But even if a couple shafts split on me.... its no biggie, a lil wood glue would cure that.

Close-up of seasoned shafts ready to be work.
Forever making arrows!

Offline andy thomas

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2011, 02:04:07 pm »
nice

Offline stickbender

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2011, 11:01:11 pm »

Thanks, I appreciate it.   ;)  Cool arrows.  8)

Wayne

Offline maddog314

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »
Did you find the obsidian near you?

Offline Scowler

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2011, 09:28:19 am »
Thanks for the heads up on arrowweed.  Way cool arrows.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 02:54:59 am »
Nice! I spend my Januaries in AZ hauling propane.  I will definitely have to get some of that!

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2011, 12:59:56 pm »
Did you find the obsidian near you?
Actually yeah. I have a buddy that lives in Northern AZ (Flagstaff) that knows a spot he says enough to fill a pickup bed full. I also trade shafts/bow material with buddies for point material. Chert....I've yet to find a decent source.
Forever making arrows!