Author Topic: Mulberry...  (Read 13180 times)

Offline gpw

Mulberry...
« on: June 28, 2007, 02:56:08 pm »
 We have tons of Mulberry trees around here, very easy to find and harvest... never tried this wood yet , but have a nice 7' stave in the shop ...nice sapwood , sorta' light osage colored heartwood ...Anybody have any experience with making mulberry bows???

DCM

Re: Mulberry...
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2007, 03:15:06 pm »
I've made several.  They say red is better than white.  I've used only red.  It's a predominantly heartwood tree so strip off the outer growth rings down the yellow wood for the bow's back.  I judge it to be about as dense as elm so 1 5/8" wide or better for a typical flatbow.  Like elm, it will reflex and noodle up spontaneously so I'd hog it down to bow size pretty fast (once you get it spilt and backed down) and put it on a caul to season a bit.  I'd imagine a good clean straight grained specimien with some crown would make a nice long stinny bow, like an elb.  I'd WAG 1 1/4" or less of wood would be sufficient for one of those, perhps 68" long for 50" @ 28" or more.  It will chrysal in a narrow deep design so work the whole limb.  Go for it.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2007, 03:41:26 pm »
Mulberry is good wood, haven't used a lot of it but I've made a couple flatbows and an elb from it. The finished bow will be thicker for its weight than with heavier woods. Like David said, for most purposes, treat it like light osage (osage is in the Mulberry family btw) and chase a heartwood ring. The ELB I made from it has two rings of sapwood on the back with no problems.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 12:58:49 am »
I've made nice bows from mulberry. Some with sapwood left on and some all heartwood. You will get better performance from all heartwood. Make your bow about 10% longer and wider than osage. It bends easily with dry heat and a bit of oil.      Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

SimonUK

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 08:18:36 am »
Pat, what kind of oil should we use when using dry heat?

Thanks, Simon

Offline gpw

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2007, 09:37:57 am »
Thanks guys , I've made alot of bows , just never Mulberry...Osage is as rare as hens teeth around here, Mulberry is EVERYWHERE.. bunches on my small farm..Might as well learn to Use it ..so easy to harvest..anybody want some , come and get it...

Offline lowell

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2007, 09:45:58 am »
I just cut a mulberry a couple weeks ago. Was surprised by the huge growth rings. I can't find an osage with any growth rings near what the mulberry had.

Looking forward to trying it!!!

My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2007, 09:46:26 am »
Simon I just use cooking oil.I think Pat uses Olive oil,I'm to tight for that.I usually only use it on
white wood or Osage if I am doing some radical bends.Won't hurt but I just haven't seen the need on Osage.
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:41 am »
Crisco works fine, I'd rather apply my olive oil to a pan full of seasoned chicken, shrimp, peppers, onions, mushrooms, and cashews (sorry, haven't had breakfast yet, fantasizing about food). Like Pappy, I don't usually even put oil on it unless I'm bending something severely.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2007, 10:50:33 am »
You the man Hillbilly,man of my on heart. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline gpw

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2007, 01:34:36 pm »
Hill, we take that to be a recipe.... sounds great, never thought about the cashews... Yummy!!! ;D

DCM

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2007, 02:46:45 pm »
Every time I hear olive oil mentioned I can't help but think of the Popeye cartoons.  LOL  I put it in everything that calls for oil in the recipe, pancakesbatter, whatever.  I save the shortening for biscuits and the veg oil for deep frying.  Have never oiled wood to bend it.

SimonUK

« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2007, 05:12:57 pm »
Sounds like you truely are a good cook Hillbilly!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2007, 07:14:49 pm »
  The mulberry we have down here is very heavy.I can't tell much difference between it and osage.I cut the one with the juicy fruit.I've noticed that the mulberry I got from Hillbilly last year is real light in comparison.Steve is it a different variety?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2007, 08:24:33 pm »
gpw: I've never tried mullberry myself (well to be honest) haven't tried much of anything yet - but will.

Hey Steve: I wrote that recipe down, sounded too good to pass up. Am going to giver a try when I get in.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.