Author Topic: Recovering a broken stick  (Read 2394 times)

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
Recovering a broken stick
« on: August 10, 2011, 08:11:46 pm »
I had a rock maple  stave I was working on....trying to make a 60lb self bow.  It was cut and seasoned properly....I took on trade from someone here but can't remember who.  Twas BEAUTIFUL!  But I broke it.  On the tillering tree I was pulling it to the 60lb mark and it broke at around 20" of pull.  It's a 60" stave.  The grain broke on teh back and the crack runs about 8" down the limb.  It's not fully broken.

I'm considering filling the crack with titebond, backing the piss out of it, and shooting for a lighter pull recurve.  I'll post a pic or two of it later but thought I'd see if anyone had any suggestions or comments on my rough description of the situation.

Thanks!
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline sonny

Re: Recovering a broken stick
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 08:50:12 pm »
start another!
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 11:24:48 pm »
I'd say go for you.

You have nothing to lose and a lot you can learn from it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2011, 12:09:01 am »
I wouldn't do it.  Titebond is a good glue when the joint is tight and can be clamped.  Once I had a bow blow up at full draw I lost the desire to fix bows.  There's a lot of energy stored in even a lightweight bow.  I know where a piece of osage is that would make a 60 pounder. 8)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2011, 09:35:53 am »
Pictures would help,but I would say no to the recurve idea, and maybe to filling the crack with glue and rapping it or backing it.Hard to say without seeing it.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 09:43:32 am »
Rawhide gets my vote
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 10:05:42 am »
You could put a nice thick lam on the back, then rasp off all the Maple and put a nice thick lam on the belly :laugh:
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 10:13:35 am »
  I'm with Sonny build another. If it's not what I want when I started I don't fix it. There's something inferior had caused it in the first place.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 10:14:18 am »
Del you won't do. ;) ;D ;D ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 11:07:25 am »
Start another. You'll probably need more tomato sakes for next year. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2011, 11:20:04 am »
If you use urac you may be able to save the bow. I would back it with hickory after you glue up the crack.

Here is a bamboo backed bow that was broken almost completely in half and had been through a house fire, the bamboo was still intact. The owner was broken hearted when he recovered his bow and asked if I could do anything to help him make it shoot again.

All the splintered pieces fit back in place so I glued it back together with urac and gave it a substantial sinew wrap. Still shooting as far as I know, the repair was 5 or more years ago.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2011, 06:12:37 am »
I went ahead and saturated the thing with TBII and clamped it up in reflex.  Let it set for 24 hours before pulling it down, then waited a couple days before doing anything else.  Trimmed the sides down and have 42lbs at 30".  I've pulled it to my maximum draw length (33") and it held together.  Not a peep...which I didn't expect.  I wish I had had higher expectations or I would have never over drawn it.  Gave it about an 1" of set.  Better to know than to wonder, though.

I've now got it clamped back up in reflex.  I'm backing the limbs in cotton cloth.  It won't add any strength but maybe some integrity.  I'll post pictures in the a.m.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry