Author Topic: thining boo  (Read 2531 times)

Offline butch

thining boo
« on: August 12, 2011, 11:10:44 am »
how do i thin 2" wide strip down to 1/8" to apply onto a 2" wide board bow. i have a 10" disk / a 1" vertical belt / and an orbital sander . have not thinned boo before. thanks.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
Re: thining boo
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 12:07:27 pm »
I use a block plane, be careful with your depth setting. Once I get close I switch to a sanding block and 80 grit to finish it off. Wear a dust mask, boo dust is nasty and very fine.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 12:40:47 pm »
Pearl, what do you use to rest/lay the boo on and deal with the crown?  I assume if you are planing with a block keeping it "square" and level is fairly important?  Does it splinter worse with the block vs say a belt sander approach?

Thanks~

~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 12:56:25 pm »
I use wood spacers bewteen the nodes and bar clamps lightly snugged down over the nodes, just enough to keep it from sliding. I have tried jointers and sanders and ruined my boo each time. Thats why I do it by hand now.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 01:06:35 pm »
Gotcha...haven't worked with Boo yet and was likely gonna start with the sander or joiner but maybe i won't know.  Don't have a block plane but guess it's a good time to look for one.  Thanks PD~

~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline dbb

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 01:34:55 pm »
There is more to be careful about boo than the dust.
If you thin it down to"nothing" it creates a wickedly sharp edge,i cut my hand pretty bad straight through a leatherglove doing that.
Nice stuff but handle with care ;)

/Mikael
It's better to ask and look like a fool than not to ask and remain one...

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:54:54 pm »
With that Pearl I had a quick question with thinning the boo. Last time I thinned any down I did it when I was visiting my parents on my Dad's jointer. I had good success except naturally the boo is thicker at the nodes. Is it alright for it to be thicker there at the node? Or should try to thin it down there as well? The only thing I worry about is then I won't get a good seal when gluing up because it isn't flat. I typically set the jointer really low, I think it probably took us 20 or more passes to get it down but I'm fine with going slow because it's probably still faster than I could do it by hand and more uniform. I have a distinct feeling I'd hack it all up with a block plane.

~Barry
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »
The glue side of the boo needs to be flat as a pancake and not cupped at all. Leave the node area thicker, no big deal there.

Offline Primitive1

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:43:04 pm »
Cutting through the bamboo nodes (back/rind) is equivalent to cutting through a knot, you leave end fibers exposed and they will more than likely lift.  You can remove the rind to more readily have the bamboo take stain etc...but be careful near those nodes!  Cheers, P1.
When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.
Cedar Hill, MO

Offline butch

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2011, 01:18:51 am »
can anyone answer the original question on will a 2" wide boo still reach across a 2" wide board after its thined to 1/8" thick. maybe i should use hickory instead. also whats a strong lbs. to exspect out of a straight grain red oak board 70"ntn. bendy handle, 40" 2"wide, and 15"from the tips tapered to 3/8" nock. presently pulling only 40 lbs. at 22" draw. i want to get to 28" and 60 lbs. thanks   

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2011, 01:28:30 am »
Butch you won't be able to thin boo enough to go on a 2"wide  bow.  ...and IMO red oak is not a good choice for a boo backing. Boo is very strong in tension. You want to use the strongest in compression wood you can get for the belly of a boo backed bow.
  Generally if you reduce a boo backing strip to 1/8" at the crown at the handle the boo strip will not be much wider than 1 3/8".  You can trap the belly(make it wider than the back,trapizoidal cross section) and get a little more bow width but not much.
  Hickory on the other hand makes an excellent bow backing, not quite as sexy as boo but a good backing none the less.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline butch

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2011, 01:39:14 am »
thanks pat. i was hopeing you were around.

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2011, 01:45:16 am »
Butch you won't be able to thin boo enough to go on a 2"wide  bow.  ...and IMO red oak is not a good choice for a boo backing. Boo is very strong in tension. You want to use the strongest in compression wood you can get for the belly of a boo backed bow.
  Generally if you reduce a boo backing strip to 1/8" at the crown at the handle the boo strip will not be much wider than 1 3/8".  You can trap the belly(make it wider than the back,trapizoidal cross section) and get a little more bow width but not much.
  Hickory on the other hand makes an excellent bow backing, not quite as sexy as boo but a good backing none the less.

For the sake of argument...all of my bamboo backed bows have turned out really well.   :P

I use a block plane as well.  How thick is the crown?  If it's over 1/8"...might get away with 3/16"...then I have to go with Pat.  If it's too thick it will overpower red oak in a heart beat.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 02:02:06 am »
I know a red oak bow can be backed with boo but for the sake of argument red oak is not the best choice for a boo backed bow...and especially for someone that is not even familiar with making a boo backed bow. Use the strongest in compression wood you can find!!! 
  The areas under the nodes will be a bit stiffer than the rest but getting proper tiller with a boo backed bow is all in finessing the tiller even though the nodes will affect the bending shape of the limbs.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline makenzie71

• I can robin hood an arrow if I hit it just right.
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2011, 02:14:42 am »
I know...I was just picking...I started out with heavy glass, though, so figuring out how to make bamboo work on the red oak wasn't too different for me.  I agree with you, it's not ideal, especially for a first or early go.
Goodbye, friends. I never thought I'd die like this. But I always really hoped. ~ Fry