Author Topic: can i still heat it?  (Read 1710 times)

Offline Catnapper

can i still heat it?
« on: August 12, 2011, 01:37:24 am »
The snakey osage bow I just finished seems a bit sluggish. It has a rattlesnake backing with pronghorn tip overlays both glued on with Titebond. My question is can I still heat and flip the tips without affecting the glue? Thanks for any advice..... Keith
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: can i still heat it?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 01:43:22 am »
Never done it my self but I would say no in my opinion heat is bad as far as most glues go.

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 02:52:46 am »
Ok thanks for the input josh. I guess ill just have to think ahead next time. It not horrible just wanted to get a bit  more speed out of her.  >:D   I was looking at the tips and I might be able to scrape some dead weight off so I'm gonna give that a shot.
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 04:08:00 am »
That sounds like a good plan, like I said I have never experamented that is just what I would think would happen. You could always do a experament with some scrap wood that you are using. Just glue a couple pieces together and let that dry and set up then heat it up real hot and see what happens. :D

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

mikekeswick

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 05:53:58 am »
The glue will fail. Although you could still do the heating and then re-glue the tips.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:50:16 am »
If your not already using a fast flight string, get one. That will do alot for you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline aznboi3644

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 11:21:11 am »
how massive are your tips?

Offline Catnapper

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 12:38:53 pm »
Pearl- I think I'm gonna order some fastflight from 3 rivers. I am using b-55 from kustom king right now.  About how much improvement do you normally see over the cheaper stuff?

Aznboi- the tips are fairly large. The best way I can explain it is a thimble sitting on top of the string grooves. So I can definitely take them down a bit. The last 8" of the limbs are stiff and I think I can try scraping a little thickness off of them without losing the stiffness.

Thanks a lot for the replies guys. :D
Gillette, Wyoming

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 12:58:57 pm »
Fast flight will add 5-10 fps roughly. Try making your tips a pin knock style, its the lightest route to take there.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.