Author Topic: need some advice on donating bows  (Read 3620 times)

Offline seabass

need some advice on donating bows
« on: August 11, 2011, 09:31:00 pm »
hey guys,i need some help.i met an elderly lady today.she is eighty years old and a flight shooting champion on july 1st 1946.she gave me seven bows of hers.i did a little research on a couple.one bow is from E.Bud & sons from cincy.they owned the sultan bow company.i saw that the son Charles passed away last year.he is in the archery hall of fame.they where friends with DR.Charles Grayson,Glenn ST.Charles and many other flight shooters from that era.another bow was made by Bill Floberth from Cleveland Ohio.he had some bow patents in the thirties.i would like to donate these bows in her name to the proper museum.i have never donated and don't know where to start.any help would be appreciated.she is a very interesting lady and i want to do this for her.she said i could keep them,but i feel that these are pieces of history that need to be preserved.i also think she would be honored by this.btw i will post some pics and demintions or her sinew backed static recurve flight bow in the bow section incase someone would like to build one.it is the smallest bow ever.if i remember correctly,she shot 326 yards and two feet for the win.thanks guys,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: need some advice on donating bows
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2011, 10:43:42 pm »
 I would suggest Dr. Grayson's Archery Museum.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2011, 11:40:22 pm »
thanks Eddie.i didn't know he had a museum.i thought he donated his stuff to other museums.i read in primitive archer that his collection was donated to the university of missouri and is on display in the museum of anthropology.i'll do some more research.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:24:17 am »
You're right, Steve, that's the place I meant. I think it's called the Grayson Collection.
Lakeland, Florida

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 10:50:12 am »
  Your right MULLET that is the name I read and articale about him a few years back.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline seabass

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 12:57:58 pm »
thanks guys,i'll try and get a hold of them.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 01:07:46 pm »
Seabass, got any pics of that will sinewed bow of hers?  Sounds interesting.
~ Lee

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline seabass

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 04:25:32 pm »
Lee,i just posted some pics of her flight bows in the bow section.they are really small.i'll post them here also.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 04:32:25 pm »
That is awesome! My hat is off to you, I think that is the best thing to do with bows like that.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline seabass

« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 04:57:44 pm »
thanks Justin.i think it would honor her more that way.no sense in letting them collect dust at my place.i am going to donate them in her name.after all she was the champion flight shooter in 1946.i will be posting other bows she gave me before i donate them all.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Lee Slikkers

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:51:12 pm »
Those are SWEET!  I have a Hickory in the works right now with almost the same profile and static recurves but no intentions of sinew backing...will be backing with Cherry Bark.

Thanks for sharing.
~ Lee

"The last word in ignorance is the man who says of an animal or plant: 'What good is it?"
— Aldo Leopold

Offline seabass

« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 06:09:26 pm »
these are so thin and short,i think they needed the sinew.they are 1/4" thick at the fades.43 1/4" long including the length of the siyahs.plus the had a felt overdraw on them.they must have been pulling them to the limit.she shot 326 yards and two feet for the win.that is alot of work for a short bow that thin.her draw length was 25" i believe.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 09:01:44 pm »
  Those bows are really cool. Do you know what the weight was or who made them?
Lakeland, Florida

Offline seabass

« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2011, 01:24:26 pm »
Mullet,she shot bows in the 30# range.i don't know the poundage on these two.she said that a guy she shot with made the bows.after she won a tournament in 1946,Bill Folberth gave her a bow of his.i also have this bow.Folberth wanted her to shoot with his bows.she is a very interesting woman to talk to.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 12:36:18 am »
In the few email exchanges I have had with the Museum of Anthropology in Columbia Missouri, I have gotten the feeling that they are really great people.  I can see why Dr. Grayson chose be a benefactor to them with his incredible collection.  I'd encourage you to contact them with all the details, if the offer does not fit their collection plan, I am sure they could put you on the right track to the best place for your donation.

I'd love to own those bows, but like you, I agree that they are best located where they can be best conserved, protected, and available to the public.  Thanks for sharing.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.